Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are Crower (or any other good brand) US cams compatible with Euro Foci (Sport Trend)??? I would like to buy a single (intake) stage 2 cam but I am not sure if they are compatible....

Any ideas???

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I got an impression that the US stuff is not compatible...But I am not sure what type of cams I have. I am quite new to this stuff (engine internals)

How can I figure out for sure????

·
Registered
58 Posts
US cams ARE compatible.
A couple of people in the UK have Stage 2 Crowers fitted.

I know someone who fitted Kent cams and had bad idling problems for some reason. Piper Stage 1 cams are very good however.

It's worth noting that the US engines are a non-interference design unlike the Euro models.
Which means there is a danger of valves hitting pistons.
However all seems ok.

So:

Kent = No
Piper = Good
Crower = Better (wilder)

Crower are also cheaper than Piper, I know somene who imports them to the UK (Michael @ EdgeMotorsport).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Zetec E engines (as per early mondeos, silver cam cover), have hyd lifters, so not really compaticble.

AAll Focus' use Zetec R engines, EXACTLY the same as US focus engines, and as such USA spec cams can be used

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot guys, that means I have non-hydraulic lifters (good for me :)) ) and can get US cams.

Does anyone know if the cams are supplied with shims (hope I am spelling that correctly) or do I need to order them seperately (or wheter I need anything apart from the cam)

TIA

PS: By the way, where can I order a single (intake) crower stage 2???

[ 01-04-2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Cem Aygun ]

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have cams from Europe in my engine for about a year now...NO PROBLEM currently pushing 146 at the wheels with them, race header, 2.5" exhaust, stock flex, and an intake...

the brand i have is CAT CAMS ...brand new...not re-grinds...

a couple other brands to consider are

Piper
Kent

both are VERY reputable

SPEC SHEET FOR CAMS.....

[ 01-04-2003, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: FocusedOne ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts