Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until recently I had never heard that cams had stages. Could someone explain why there are various stages of cams.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
they define their aggressiveness

Stage 1 = Mild
Stage 3 = VERY AGGRESSIVE AND NOT NECESSARILY SUITABLE FOR STREET USE!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much, so stage 2 would be fairly aggressive,race use/street? Is there a way to actually tell what stage cam is?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have stage 2 crowers and they are great. Now i actually have a decent powerband.

I recommend them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is there a way to actually tell what stage cam is?
The profile is different so the valves open more and longer on the higher stage. Although, I called FC about a couple things and they said that the stage 1 and 2 crower exhaust camshaft for the focus have identical profiles. The zetec engine seems to react well with a large intake cam and a smaller exhaust. On their project turbo focus, they are using stage 3 intake cam and stock exhaust cam and i think they are up to 490 hp or something right now. They dyno tested the [censored] and that was the best combination that they came up with.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great input guys, thank you very much. This more than answered my question,thank you for your time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, if you get the cams, i recommend a throttle body with an adjustable stop screw. I have the FC 65mm. You will probably need to adjust it. It will help smooth your idle out. Mine was idling very rough and kept stopping. It still lopes, but it sounds ok.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Yeah, if you get the cams, i recommend a throttle body with an adjustable stop screw. I have the FC 65mm. You will probably need to adjust it. It will help smooth your idle out. Mine was idling very rough and kept stopping. It still lopes, but it sounds ok.
Good luck.
Ult - where the [censored] have you been man????

Anyways, in honor of myself and Ult's running trend a few weeks back:

DO NOT ADJUST THE SCREW!!!
Your CPU will adjust and overcome

Since Ult isn't around to speak for himself:
Speedy ZX3
I noticed that on the pics of the newest gen FCTB there was a little something different on the idle control screw - a spring! is this to say that it's now just plug n' play? whereby I just put it in and don't have to spend days trying to figure out the right adjustment to get the thing to idle right and avoid a CEL...

I searched, but found nothing in the way of this change other then a few pics of the newer design.

I have a '01 mtx, btw...

thanks
EggYolk
I think I know who I'm going to pass this answer to...
Ult
right on schedule...

...DO NOT adjust your idle screw, the ecu will only compensate for it. return it back to its original position

-Ult
EggYolk
Like clockwork Ult - I build em up, you knock em down
Other Examples:

·
Registered
65 Posts
ugh...
The computer WILL compensate for adjusting the screw, however, stage 2 cams will make it to where you will have extremely rough idle. Adjusting the screw will raise the amount of air going into the engine a bit, but the computer will compensate for it but it will smooth out your idle. Other than that, you would almost never have to do it. It was the only way i could keep my engine from stopping whenever i let off the gas. I would rather have my car run at idle than listen to ultegra. Watching him post on focusfanatics as long as i did made me want to vomit. If you see him again, tell him i said to quit life.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Thats funny - I've had the same setting on my FC TB from stock and to now with Stage 2s. My idle is perfectly fine and don't experience this "extremely rough idle" idle you speak of (even with new mount inserts). Check you timing, not the TB.
Only 30 posts and already steppin on peoples' toes?

·
Registered
65 Posts
the timing is fine. If it wasnt, i would have a lot more problems than a rough idle. Dont know why you did not get problem i did and i dont really care. Why should i? its not my car. Adjusting it was the only thing that smoothed out my idle. It worked fine and i am happy with it, even though you may not be.

was offering advice and if you disagree with me, then i dont know why you should expect me to automatically listen to whatever you say. If you still disagree with me, then go cry to mommy about it, because i dont care.

·
Registered
729 Posts
the timing is fine. If it wasnt, i would have a lot more problems than a rough idle. Dont know why you did not get problem i did and i dont really care. Why should i? its not my car. Adjusting it was the only thing that smoothed out my idle. It worked fine and i am happy with it, even though you may not be.

was offering advice and if you disagree with me, then i dont know why you should expect me to automatically listen to whatever you say. If you still disagree with me, then go cry to mommy about it, because i dont care.
wow,,,,im sensing hostility

·
Registered
729 Posts
and ya,,,,,where the heck has Ult been?? i been wondering the same thing for about the past week

·
Registered
65 Posts
I guess it was the mention of Ultegra's name.

However i still stand by my offensive/hateful remarks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think i saw something about him being pissed and not wanting to come back to this forum about the time that i registered.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If you still disagree with me, then go cry to mommy about it, because i dont care.
Weren't you the guy who had that picture in his signature? Didn't people whine about it and you changed it? Hmmm...seems like you do care when people disagree with you...

·
Registered
65 Posts
slight difference...
People were being reasonable about me wanting me to change my signature. I was actually breaking a rule. Id rather change it than get bitched at by a moderator. It seems like you are just looking for something to argue about now.
If you are, pls just pm me because i think the thread has already turned into a tinkling contest.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think i saw something about him being pissed and not wanting to come back to this forum about the time that i registered.
are u talkin bout ult?? cuz if your are find that thread,,,i wanna see what happend

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
i heard he got banned again

·
Registered
65 Posts
well he can go have his fun w/ focusfanatics then. even though not too many people on there like him.
But then again, people on there absolutely hated me. And i hate them too. It was a magical relationship.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts