Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was easy getting it off, but i can't get it back on. Now what should I do. Should i let the dealership do it, or pay a local mechanic? Is there a trick, or shortcut to this, or will the entire engine need to be unmounted? any help is appreciated. thanks.

[ 11-14-2002, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
793 Posts
Leave it off. No harm. I think most other jetters with aftermarket cam gears have left it off as well.

I tried to put it back on as well, but could never get it to fit right again (even bolted on), the gears were grinding at it....

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
possum, how did you get your cover back on? it wasnt easy doing it, and i cracked the damn plastic cover.

i have to get this cover back on. i cant leave it like this...the car has about 22000 miles on it, so 1 day (150000miles) i'll hav to get the timing belt checked, so the cover will be taken off anyway i know, but it doesnt mean its supposed to be this way. when my parents come back next month they're not going to happy about this, so its not an option for me to leave it off. parents just dont understand.

[ 11-14-2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
your parents will notice the cam gear cover missing?? damn. mine never look at my car (since i live in a different state hehe), but i doubt they'd notice if the door handles were gone.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i figured out how to get the timing belt cover on. this is all from the shop manual.

1. jack up the car and use jack stands to support.
2. place a strong wooden block under the oil pan to help free the engine from load, while carefully adjusting the height with a jack.
3. note the engine mounting points to see if they're aligned.
4. remove the front engine mounts
5. install timing belt cover.
6. install back the engine mount bolts (first 3 bolts away from engine must be tightened 40NM, and the two bolts closest to engine/timing belt cover must be torqued to 80NM).

well thats it. im a bit wary about unbolting any engine mount on the car, but i got the idea now what needs to be done. I better leave this up for a professional mechanic to do it.

[ 11-14-2002, 07:12 PM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
793 Posts
Is this your car or your parents?

I highly doubt that they would notice, but hey, if you need to do it, just heat it with a heat gun. It will go on, it is a royal biatch though.

The biggest pain is seating the bottom correctly, once that is done, the rest is cake, just watch out for any "clattering" once reinstalled, as it is noticeable.

As far as removing the engine mounts, it is not necessary and DO NOT try this yourself unless you know what your doing....bad things could happen.

Oh yeah, if you make 150K, no one will car about the cam gear cover....I can assure you of that.

[ 11-14-2002, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: poSSumX ]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts