Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so NOT to start another CAMBER war here, but could someone please explain to me how the f*@! these things work? I'm looking to put the FK 1.4" drop on my car pretty soon (hopefully i can put in the order tomorrow), and i do want to have the alignment set correctly. do i just buy any old camber kit, slap it in during install, and have some shop align my car to get it just right? or do i just stick in this camber kit and everything just magically fixes itelf? or should i put just the shocks and springs on, take it to a shop, and see what they say i need? Oh, and what's the difference between this

http://www.newedgeperformance.com/progalkitfor.html
and this
http://www.newedgeperformance.com/eibalkitforr.html
? HELP AN IDIOT, PLEASE!!!!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
556 Posts
My advise-cause this is what I'm doing/need--> put the shocks & springs in, in the meantime you should be searching to see what camber adjustment you want to go with/ order...get that & put it on & drive your happy @$$ down & get it alligned before anything gets bad

·
Registered
556 Posts
the shop should be able to do the rest, but it's not going to magically fix it self

And the difference between the 2 is the 1st one is for the front & the 2nd one is for the rear

·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, just for clarification, I didn't REALLY think it magically corrected anything.
So I should buy camber stuff, put it in, and then take the car to get it aligned. Is it easier to put it in at the same time as I put in the new suspension, or does it not make a difference? I just can't make out from the pic how they work and where they go.

Mike

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well the front peice is the upper plate that the strut attatches to (where a strut bar sits, only this is mounted from the bottom I beleive-never done it myself though) so your gonna have this apart to put that stuf in anyways so you might as well do it then, or you can join in the debate about the front control arms, but they're more expensive & you need bushings with them too... the plates have worked for most people. As for the bottom, that bolt goes in the rear upper arm (don't remember the technical term) once again this is gonna be apart when you put in the springs & shocks so...why not put it in then right? IMO

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
First off, It'll be Easiest to do at the Same time, BUT It MAY not be Necessary.
What are you doing w/ the car?
Auto-X?
Boulevard Cruising?
Interstate Only?
Twisty Back-Roads?
Some Combo of the Above?
1.4" Drop WILL Change your camber, but there's a CHANCE that it may not change it to the point that it would be detrimental and require any correction....
Are you doing your own Labor?
If so, and you have the Time, and the Cash is Tight, I'd wait to add them.
Do the Drop, then have it aligned and see where you stand.
Report back then.
If your Camber is under -2 degrees (Closer to "0" than that) you probably don't need them, unless your left and right sides are rather mis-matched.
If your camber's all kinds of Wacky, the Kits are the only way to adjust them.
If you're doing your own Labor, Wait.
If you're paying someone, it's probably better to go ahead and get them and only pay for 1 Install and 1 Alignment.
It may cost a Little more than if you were doing the labor yourself and added them later, but it will definitely cost Less than if you were paying some one else and had to do it all Twice.
If you are paying someone else and didn't REALLY need them, at least you'll have that adjustability if you ever need/want it.
If you're doing it yourself, wait until you've established need.
That will cost you two Alignments (If you DO have to get them), but only one install, and MAYBE Considerably less, on the Chance that you WON'T Need them.
It's Your call.

·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm thinking i'm definetely going to put the back kit on for right now. from what i've read, this is where most of the problems come from. it's cheap enough. mainly, it's just a daily driver, but i love to push it in the twisties!

Mike

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Do you suspect your rear end to be "Out of Whack"???
If it's not, there's really no point unless you wish to add negative camber.
In "the Twisties", you shouldn't need to do too much besides setting Toe and making sure that both sides are Even... Problems MAY exist, but I'm betting that they're unlikely

·
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, but the hardware isn't that expensive and I'd rather NOT worry about ripping the whole back end apart again if it became necessary. Like I said, I am holdiong off on the front camber bc lots of people on these boards seem to not be having problems with it as long as the drop stays fairly moderate.

Thanks for all the help, guys. The suspension is being put on hold until next payday (2 weeks from now). This check went towards all sorts of bills and my girl's b-day stuff. Man, I'm missing FOTB AND putting my suspension on for her! That's love!

·
Registered
186 Posts
ain't that the truth. man that is love.

yeah i going to have to put on my camber kit for the rear,
wish i would have done it when i did the suspension.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts