Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Most of the people here run the Crower stage 2 cams, including me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by Carizme:
4th opinon favoring the crower stg 2's
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just out of curiousity, did you get you cams before you got the race header??

i got the OFP just recently (after the cams) and it was an incredible gain.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
cams came after the race header. But the cams and the CAI were installed at the same time. Beware though, you lose a little toque in low RPM with BOTH, actually, with all three of these mods 4-1 header, crower stg 2's, and the CAI. It might be different with other cams though, Im not sure.

I definately felt a loss of torque (low rpm) when the cams and CAI were installed at the same time. But the high end was worth it

·
Registered
830 Posts
I have GUDE cams on a stock head and I push 133 whp and 140 pound of torque. I am very pleased with this high torque even tought I have a race header...

but, obviously everyone will say crower because thats what everyone have...

my opinion is look more into the grind than the brand... buy the grind you need.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have CAT cams in my car...imported from Germany
similar grind to the GUDE ones....

but...MUCH better
[not re-grinds]

right marc?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
whats makes them better??

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
The old what's "best" question......depends on the cars goals and accompanying parts of course.

The Kent cams from FocusSport certainly merit consideration.......

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, let me rephrase my question.
As of right now, i have an OBX short ram intake, and an OBX muffler. Not much to smile about engine wise. I plan on an AEM Cold Air soon, but have heard that cams are one of the best mods for your money. I am going to build moderate to high compression, and go all motor on this engine. So, with this in mind, being the CAI and little else, would it be wise to go with cams now, or is there another part that should be considered first?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I have the gude cams which are regrinds. but that's fine with me, i have 16000 miles on these cams and not a single problem yet
can someone please inform me on what is the differance between the 2 process's of making cam's are???

·
Registered
830 Posts
If I were you, I would buy the ford racing cams stage 3 as your intentions are to stay N/A. Even this stage 3 is milder than my cams...

why Ford racing? because they are cheap to buy from mc news and thats all...

http://www.mcnewsautomotive.com/front.htm

I have gude I like them
anthony have cat he like them
someone as crower he like it
someone elso have crane and he like them...
...get the point?

cams+save money=

·
Registered
412 Posts
i also have the gude cams. like someone said earlier its all in what you want to do with your car.and how much of an concern is with a smooth idle.

my car idles pretty choppy. but i like it. and its really not that bad for how big the cams are.i would say something like this do some research because you dont want to get stuck with something you dont like.

mike

·
Registered
394 Posts
FocusedOne can you post a link or phone number to the vendor who sells the CAT cams? thanks...

·
Registered
874 Posts
all2envyZx3,

Reground cams are cams that use a finished stock cam and put it back in a grinding machine to change the profile. They reduce the base circle to increase the lift. By reducing the base circle, you increase the gap, or clearance between the cam and the lifter. You have to use thicker buckets, or shim the stock ones to make up for the added clearance. Thick buckets and shims add weight, which is the opposite of what you want. Regrinds also can suffer from excessive wear if they are not rehardened. When a cam is made, they are hardened to reduce the wear. When you regrind them, you grind through the surface hardening. If that isn't done correctly, they will wear quickly. Reground cams are not always bad, but there is a better chance of them failing.

Cams from major manufacturers like Crower, Crane and Kent use blank cores to start with. These are the same type of cores that the OEM, Ford for example, use to make the stock cams. They are usually higher quality and hold tolerances closer to stock so that excessive shimming is not usually needed.

Regrinds are usually done when blank cores are not available such as antique, or uncommon cars. If blanks are available they are the best way to produce performance cams.

[ 09-12-2002, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: OutaFocus ]

·
Registered
874 Posts
OOPS!....Double Post

[ 09-12-2002, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: OutaFocus ]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts