Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,436 Posts
Originally posted by djvash:
Are those "Steeda" cams?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm thinking Crower rebadged. But that's just a guess.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are from Crane. They are not "rebadged."

Rebadged is when you take something from someone else and put your name on the box. We selected these cams for our catalog because of the excellent working relationship and results we have been able to achieve using Crane cams for the past 25 years. (Some of us here have known the engineers at Crane longer than Steeda has been in business.) In that sense they are "Steeda endorsed" cams, but we never claimed to make them ourselves.

[ 09-23-2002, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: techguy ]

·
Registered
526 Posts
Originally posted by techguy:
They are from Crane. They are not "rebadged."

Rebadged is when you take something from someone else and put your name on the box. We selected these cams for our catalog because of the excellent working relationship and results we have been able to achieve using Crane cams for the past 25 years. (Some of us here have known the engineers at Crane longer than Steeda has been in business.) In that sense they are "Steeda endorsed" cams, but we never claimed to make them ourselves.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Like the Steeda exhaust?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how's the idling? smooth? or rough?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We turned the idle up 200 rpm with the screw on the 65mm throttle, and it idles surprisingly smooth.

Before we turned the idle up, it would idle smoothly but occasionally shut off with no warning when coming to a stop. According to a Ford engineer we talked to, this is probably because we have all of the vapor purge lines, canister and solenoids disconnected on our race car. (There is no place for them on the 17 gallon fuel cell we are running.) According to him, on deceleration the engine is programmed to run extremely lean and burn off these extra vapors. Essentially the engine is running on the fumes in the vapor lines. As soon as we disconnected theses lines we began to experience occasional stalling, even with the stock cams. The new cams made it worse, but turning up the idle cured it. Once it is at idle it is surprisingly steady. We were actually expecting a more "lumpy" idle, but it runs pretty smooth. Its not quite as smooth as the stock cams in the stock position, but it is almost as smooth as the idle with the stock cams retarded.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
did u supplement the cams w/new valve springs/retainers and was it shimmed (buckets) out 2 spec across all journals?

i do like the move in top end over 'tweaked' stockers w/o loss of bottom end

readin further, i like how u pulled this outta a focus that had 102 2 start, not some 115whp 'gem' that 'others' have used.

it says 141 lb/ft....i c 137

-Ult

[ 09-24-2002, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
803 Posts
Originally posted by UltegraSTI:

readin further, i like how u pulled this outta a focus that had 102 2 start, not some 115whp 'gem' that 'others' have used.

-Ult
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can guarantee that the only variation between the dogs and the "gems" is inconsistent cam timing. They could have started with a 95hp or a 115hp focus and once the got gears on there and tuned them they would both have put out the same numbers. I know there are "non-believers" but I know when I installed my cams when the engine was at TDC the slot in the cams was no where NEAR where it needed to be and therefore they were off.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
oh i know what its down 2 man...but it gives most readers on here a good belief that all their cars can do it. i know peeps were suspicious over the 115whp gem that some 'magazine' was usin. hell i know thats y my car is still stuck at ~111whp, b/c i havent broken down and bought cam sprockets yet. i just think it gives people good reinforcment that a car that was low on hp (way off on cam tuning) good b taken up there 2 ~145/140tq just the same as a 115'er.

PS-was that chip stock? curious.

-Ult

·
Registered
3 Posts
aren't the stock cam gears press fit onto the cams during engine assembly and their may be a factory variance of 2-3 degrees on cam timing?

maybe that paired with cold air dyno testing gave some people those numbers.

thats what i heard?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PS-was that chip stock? curious.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is this question directed at me?
The chip in the car is the same Superchips chip we installed when the car was near stock. If I remember correctly it was worth about 5 or 6 horsepower when the car was nearly stock. We've tried a Diablo chip with similar results, but I keep the Superchips chip in the car because it is a known entity. I know that it works and I can compare changes made to the car without having to re-baseline the car with a new chip. We also need the computer chip to get around the speed limiter on the straight-aways.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it says 141 lb/ft....i c 137
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think the 137 you see is the HP from the stock cams. We didn't put the torque on the graph to keep it cleaner and easier to read. We just summarized the peak torque numbers in the text.

·
Registered
48 Posts
techguy --

What about the cams w/new valve springs/retainers. Did you change them? How much if Steeda installs a tunes the Cams and Cam shafts.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The cams are designed to work with the stock springs. We re-used the stock valve springs and retainers. Right now the head is stock and the rev-limiter is factory. Fairly soon we plan to bypass the rev-limiter and try a ported head with a light weight valvetrain and more radical cams at extended rpm. But for now, the stock valves seem to work pretty good.

I will check on the install time and pricing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts