Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k, I've just been told that I need a bunch of things to install my cams on top of the cams.

SO far I've got
- Crane Cams Stage II
- AEM cam gears

what else do I need for this install except the tools.

Let me know ASAP cause I'm doing this this comming thursday !

Thanks a bunch guys !

·
Registered
473 Posts
well i just had my crower stage II installed last week. the cam alignment tool is very helpful. also if you aren't very good at installing these type of things, don't even begin to. take it somewhere to have it done. it IS worth it. i tried it myself with a few guys, and we didn't succeed. ended up not putting back together right way. also the lobes on the exhaust cam on my car was rubbing the block so they had to grind/file the aluminum block to make it work. well worth the $$ spent! do you have new timing belt? if not i recommend that as well. also you might as well put some pulleys on while you are doing this, because the belts will be off, and no time like the present to keep cost down on labor!! good luck!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I just installed a pair last night. 2 hour install time.

Crower suggests new springs, retainers and such, but the stage 1's and 2's were designed to be drop in cams. You shouldn't have a problem. Maybe down the road you'll want to install the springs and such, but when that happens, just go for a whole new head

Oh yeah. This is technically a two person job if you want to get it done quickly and done well. It helps if the other person knows what they're doing

[ 09-18-2002, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I would also order some new cam gear bolts, and if you have taken off your valve cover before you should also order some new vc bolts, vc gasket, and cam seals

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The AEM install kit is quite useful I wouldn't try the install without it. You don't need to replace the Valve cover gasket. I was going to but the Tech at ford said they are reusable.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I know if you all have noticed, but these are Crane cams not Crowers...I thought every cam except the Crower required modifcations such as new retainers, springs, etc... Im not to sure...

·
Registered
473 Posts
sell the cranes and get some crowers man!!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
WEll, if you are careful, you can re-use the Valve cover gasket. You just have to watch one, it is pretty hard to pull the valve cover off for the first time.

you ahve to be carefull, like with the Cam seals, if you are careful, you can re-use them.

It is also suggested to have some gasket maker, silicone stuff, when putting on the cam keepers that are closest to the cam gears, just a little bit where it bolts down.

You need I believe a E10 reverse Torx Socket for the cam keepers.

and yeah, the AEM install kit is awesome! It comes with the bar and the TDC peg!

good luck.

If you need help, PM me!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Originally posted by Euro Ford Fan:
. You don't need to replace the Valve cover gasket. I was going to but the Tech at ford said they are reusable.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was told the same thing and the vc leaked, so I replaced it after about 2 weeks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts