Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Stumble awhile back, and it came just after a HEAVY Rain and Deep Water. Turned out it was an O2 Sensor. I've also Had the DPFE Stumble.
I'm currently testing a "Potentially soon to be introduced Exhaust Component", and I have the heat shield off of my exhaust manifold.
We did the Swap on a Rainy night, but I Think I took care to keep all moisture out of the jacks and sensors...
I drove the car for a little over 50 local miles in a couple days w/ no problems, then drove about 180 miles tonight to take my Daughter to meet her mom. It was fairly rainy, but no Deep Water on the road. At that point, I turned the car off to unload her luggage.
I re-cranked it to come home, and about 10-15 miles down the road, the CEL tripped.
I thought it MIGHT be from having no cat, but I think my chip covers that one, (Though I'm not sure...), so I continued the 180 miles back home.
Once off the Interstate, I tried the ol' test of Flooring it at low RPM in a tall gear and .......... Stumble City.

I don't know if I messed up a sensor on the Swap, but it had well over 200 miles on it in many conditions before the light tripped.
There is a little Scarring on the green plastic on the top O2 sensor, like maybe it bumped against the hot manifold?
I'm not Positive that it wasn't scuffed on the Swap...
Should the sensor-junctions be wrapped if there's no heat-shield?
How much do those sensors cost if I screwed it up as a result of something I did, unlike last time one went?
I might be able to go get scanned at an AutoZone tomorrow night after work, but I don't know when I could make it by the Dealer, and I've got a race this Sunday, where Low RPM is VERY Important. If they're Cheap enough, I'll just buy some, and try to fix it myself...
I know DPFE can be caused by Water...
Any Input Noresull or anyone?

·
Premium Member
5,524 Posts
My favorite/local parts.com network Ford dealer says the retail on the Oxygen sensors is $110.56 (and their price is $82.92). They only listed one so I suppose it's possible that both are the same?

www.partsamerica.com (Checker/Shucks/Kragen stores, though in-store pricing may be different) shows 3 different Bosch ones for the Focus ranging from $68.99 to $82.99. One for "upstream" of the cat, one for "downstream", and one that would work in either spot (plus they have something that's the "Neihoff Ignition" brand and is $56.99).

I'm guessing this is what you're thinking you might have messed up?

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See, I don't know if the Sensors themselves are fouled, or if it's just the junction, if it's not the DPFE?
Can HEAT kill one, or am I looking at another "Death by Water"? (Which would be Warranteed...)

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, two more things...
First, after the CEL was on, I stopped for Fuel. I didn't turn the car off for fear of it not Re-Starting 150 miles from home. It took 26 miles for the guage to come up to full.
Does this indicate anything, or is it just because I didn't Power-Down?
It seems hella ODD to me...

Secondly, will the codes still be present for scanning, even though I've reset the CEL?
They MAY come right back, but for now, the CEL is off, and it's still Stumbling at Low RPM, High Load.
Any other guesses or clues?

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
i have had a problem of the o2 sensors causing a problem, from, watter getting into the o2 sensor connections. i disconnected the green or blue connectors cleaned them out, dried them etc. and it seemed to work

chris

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
OK, two more things...
First, after the CEL was on, I stopped for Fuel. I didn't turn the car off for fear of it not Re-Starting 150 miles from home. It took 26 miles for the guage to come up to full.

Secondly, will the codes still be present for scanning, even though I've reset the CEL?
They MAY come right back, but for now, the CEL is off, and it's still Stumbling at Low RPM, High Load.
Any other guesses or clues?

That is the worst cel.. the 420 lol so is there really anything wrong with the sensor when that happens

·
Registered
315 Posts
Try to run a code scan to determine the cell problem. It may not be the O2 sensor. My upstream sensor went bad and I replaced it with original Ford part. It was $95.00.

Whatever you do do not get a universal O2 sensor. Ford codes them to each car. The upstream or heat sensor seems to be a common issue with the Focus, specially if your runing a header or high flow cat.

George

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I confess, for only a 2 week span, I'm running NO cat.
It's ONLY Temporary for Test purposes.
The CEL (When it re-tripped) only scanned the lack of a cat....
I find that puzzling since it took over 250 miles to trip it the first time, but only 34 miles for the Re-trip.
I suspect the rain MAY be a Factor w/ an O2 Sensor...????
Heat is definitely a consideration, as it happened after running 180 miles, parking for 5-10 minutes, then re-cramking and driving...
Heck, I just Don't Know....

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
parking for 5-10 minutes, then re-cramking and driving...
Heck, I just Don't Know....
cel will not triger untill pcw sees the same thing two drive cycles in a row. so thereticly if you never turn off your car you will never throw a cel

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
It took 26 miles for the guage to come up to full.
perfectly normal. the guage does not move up (fast i guess) when you fill the tank with key in the run possition. i figure ford had a problem with needel movment with gas slosching. my dads 96 tahoe on a quarter tank i can get the quate to move from empty to a half tank or more while driving

1 - 11 of 11 Posts