Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Nitrous is going in tomorrow and I'd like to know if the engine can handle a 75 shot of Nitrous. It's a ZEX kit and I have a Volant intake, FC TB, and Magnaflow cat-back. Can I safely spray 75 shot and what horse power numbers should I see at a dyno off of a 75shot of nitrous...Thanks for any input!

PS. Manual Tranny

·
Registered
997 Posts
who knows? some people have been running a 75 shot forever and some ppl have blown their motor within a few empty bottles.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
^ exactly, its a chance you take. You should if used properly, but no for sure can come from me.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm runnin 75 nx. If you do it carefully it'll be ok. don't use it under 4k, so you get plenty of air flowin, make sure your wot switch is at wot, and have fun. I wouldn't recommend it at first, learn to drive with the 50 shot first, more margin for error. Get yourself a window switch that activates the solenoids at 4k and deactivates it about 100rpms from rev limiter and you'll be golden.

g

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so can I spray below 4k running 55 shot or 65 shot, or do you not recomend that either? Also does 75 shot translate to 75hp increase...if so, that means I should expect like 190hp to the wheels at the dyno right???

·
Registered
629 Posts
When I ran a 75 shot NX last summer, my window switch was set at 3500, and shut off at 6500. I also used a slightly bigger fuel jet(I think it was 24, instead of 22). You should see 190+ at the wheels. It's a wet kit right?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it's a wet kit. It activates at 4.2 volts/wide open throttle. As I said I have a manga flow cat, fc tb, and Volant intake. I'm planning on getting the flex pipe and off road pipe as well... With all these mods,I should see 190 plus the wheels or maybe 200? Would adjusting the cams help me see hight numbers, and should I be conserned with the ingintion timing running 75 shot with these mods? Thanks.

Where can I get a window switch?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bump!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Quote from Mr. Squash on another post.
mr.squatch

Reged: 11/30/02
Loc: oklahoma
Re: A/F Ratio gauge accuracy
#668916 - 07/21/03 02:40 PM Edit Reply Quote

my nx guy is Jorge at mustang-x.com his prices can't be beat. Tell him mr.squatch sent you and he'll cut ya a deal. My total kit was over XXX cheaper than anywhere else. You didn't hear that from me tho, they're not allowed to post prices anywhere. So you'll have to email him thru mustang-x. good luck yo.

g

--------------------
02 Zx3, KN, CrowerII's, FC Race Hdr, YoDude Borla Catback, FC 70mm TB, etc etc. 14.405 @97.58mph

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok...but how much power do you guys think I'll see with 75 shot of nitrous...and Secondly, is it ok to run the stock spark plugs or should I get better, cooler ones?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
If it's nx, you will get 75 hp from a 75 shot. Colder plugs are very important, I run two steps colder copper plugs gapped at 35. I think you have a lot more margin for error with a 50 shot, I topped out the car a couple times on 50 and hit the speed limiter (very bad idea), luckily I stayed in the gas, just got off the wot switch and kept the air flowin and it was ok. I could hit the 50 shot at 3500 with no worries, I'm probably just overly cautious when I say 4k, but better safe than sorry, I would never tell you less because u might blow up and I'd feel bad. I will say it's fairly safe at 4k and up. Another benefit of a window switch is, you just arm the system and go. Without one, you need to launch, determine if you have wheel spin or engine bog, decide whether to arm it, do it or don't do it or wait til 2nd and arm it. it's a lot to do. with a window switch, you can launch at 4k or whatever, floor it, if it spins the tires and goes to the rev limiter, it'll be ok, cause it'll quit sprayin before it gets there. make sense? and also it won't spray unless you're over the low setting incase the engine bogs down. I don't have a window switch, wish i did, just too many other things to pay for first. If you have any jegs catalogs layin around, msd makes a very good window switch too, about the same cost. I've pretty much mastered the nitrous launch, but it took a lot of time to figure out where to launch and be able to decipher track conditions. Once you go nitrous it's tough to go back. I burn off a 5lb bottle once, sometimes twice a week. haha. Good luck, be safe and keep us posted

g

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I had a hell of a time finding the right plugs when it came time so i figured I'd post em up. They're motorcraft AZFS22C I belive they're two steps colder and copper rather than platinum. Most parts stores won't stock them as they don't come oem in any car i'm aware of. I special order them in 10 pks so I always have a fresh set. At a buck a piece, it's never a bad idea to swap em out before a big race.

I don't claim to be an expert, I think of myself more as one of the pioneers. If anyone else has more info or can correct me on how I can do better, please speak up. Everyone can learn something new. Thanks yo, hope your nitrous days are as happy as mine

g

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what you're trying to say is that if I want to run 75shot, I should get the colder plugs. I don't have a problem timing my nitrous spray, so I can hold off on the window switch, for now. And you say AutoZone, Advanced, or Napa won't carry the colder plugs...Hum...that sucks, I don't know if I wanna wait to get the plugs to run the 75 shot
. I officially have the kit installed now. All the shops here seemed to be out of Nitrous and I was only able to get about 6lds on the fill. Good thing is that since he ran out, he didn't charge me for it
. Currently I'm running a 55shot jet. It feels different. For some reason my exhaust sounds louder, but that might be due to the fact that my sound system is disconnected and I never noticed it before...maybe. Second, my throttle seems to stick a bit when I press down on it. Third, the car seems to have a little bit of trouble starting...I don't know if all this is normal and if it's only while I break in the Kit. Also, how tight do I have to put the nitrous line onto the bottle. When I tightened it by hand, the nitrous leaked out...alot...I had to used a wrench to tighten it.

My last question is, How is 55shot supposed to feel? Honestly, it didn't feel that much stronger to me...Did I expect to much or is it due to the low bottle preasure?

Thanks for all your help and let me know. My Purge kit goes in on monday...I'll let you all know how that goes...Lataz!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Any autoparts store can probably get them for you in less than 24 hrs. If you just can't wait, I'd gap my oem's down a bit, that's what I did. I think I ran them at 35 too. good luck yo, don't break anything

g

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Yes, you must use a wrench to tighten the line. 6lbs won't give you the bottle pressure to really feel it. Bottle pressure is key, freeze your bottle overnight before you take it in, they should be able to squeeze 11 or even 12 lbs into it at a good refilling station.

g

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So will any guage work, or do I have to get a ZEX guage? If I do mount one on the dash, how do I connect it to the bottle? Thanks you guys, for all the help!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
...And does anyone know if the stock plugs run cool enough and what heat rating they have?????????????????????

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
anyone

·
Registered
176 Posts
I haven't done the gauge yet on the dash, but you have to run a nitrous line into the gauge, so I am holding off on that. I have my nitrous line running paralell to my fuel lines. As for the plugs, stockers are no good, use the Motorcraft AZFS.22.C, it's what I use. They are a step colder, and made of copper. They don't last any where near as long as the stock platinum plugs, but at about $2 a piece, it isn't a big deal.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts