Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've changed my euro Focus Oz spec ECU for a USA ECU. I had a power pack on my flat battery trying to kick it over but, no luck however the dash was working and I was getting click click click click trying to turn over, my SCT dash scan got the code I needed and yes it was USA code.

I want to get tune by a pro Focus tuner that knows what they are doing and this is why I've changed ECU.

I've got a friend with a aftermarket scan tool and started to run into problem

No programming options & communications very limited
Reads dtc's & PCM data but no other systems supported & no linking/ programming options

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been told there wasn't enough power to crank the engine over and that why it was going click click click and that it should work is this true with the US ECU???
The Focus doesn't a security transponder, it is built into the ECU called a pats, so does this mean I can manual train the key going through the ignition key training or does it have to link by the Ford dealer by train to link of BEN to PCM????

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
You can't train the car to recognize the key, didn't the key and ECU come together? A dealer has to program it. Have you gotten a solid charge in the battery yet?

Too bad your on the East coast, I know a great Ford tuner in Australia but he's in Perth.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Key and ECU come together so what does that mean??
I won't know if this well work until the new engine and gearbox goes back in.

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
As long as the key and ECU came from the same car and worked together previously then they should still work together in your car.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Some auto locksmiths can do this too. I had no keys to go with the ECU I got from a friend, the locksmith simply treated the car as if all the existing keys were lost, and programmed new ones for it. I don't recall the name of the system he had that could talk to the ECU and reprogram the PATS.

I thought if you had two good keys, you could program a third yourself with some assortment of key-on,key-off, switch keys, etc? I do remember that you had to have two good keys to begin with, if you only had one, it was a trip to the dealer or a locksmith.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've still got my 2 factory keys plus the other key that came with the USA ECU, The Focus doesn't a security transponder, it is built into the ECU called a pats.
By swapping the ECU over I'm hoping I wont have any security issues when it comes time to firing then beast for the 1st time.

Ford won't be able to help me because the ECU codes are different and they won't have the USA codes at all, I'm hoping lock smith or ECU programmer can fix it if there's any problems

This build has been a pain in the ass from the word go

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got this email today.

If the engine ( starter is clicking ) then the key is activating the starter , if the PATS was set then the starter doesn't work at all , it wont engage any 0

Another thing if PATS was set you would have - - - - - - in the odometer as well as the light over the 4way blinks different

If the ass clowns on fj new what they were doing or talking about they would of known this , fj is for no information or misinformation and bashing and FF is for facts , one day you will learn this and come to the dark side lol

Your welcome

Tom

·
I
13,291 Posts
I got this email today.

If the engine ( starter is clicking ) then the key is activating the starter , if the PATS was set then the starter doesn't work at all , it wont engage any 0

Another thing if PATS was set you would have - - - - - - in the odometer as well as the light over the 4way blinks different

If the ass clowns on fj new what they were doing or talking about they would of known this , fj is for no information or misinformation and bashing and FF is for facts , one day you will learn this and come to the dark side lol

Your welcome

Tom
Getting past his awful grammar and inflammatory comment, yes that is correct. If PATS is tripped, it "immobilizes" the car. It will not even attempt to turn over. If you put in a fully-charged battery is should at least turn over and attempt to fire. The PATS system is working correctly.

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
Getting past his awful grammar and inflammatory comment, yes that is correct. If PATS is tripped, it "immobilizes" the car. It will not even attempt to turn over. If you put in a fully-charged battery is should at least turn over and attempt to fire. The PATS system is working correctly.
I wasn't even aware that it wouldn't attempt to crank, I've never tried a non-programmed key in a Focus.

I do know that some older generation PATs systems would crank the engine but wouldn't run.

-Steve

·
Grand Master Mabel listens to Death Metal and flip
7,145 Posts
I went to a local hardware store to have my PAT key duplicated (lots of places are offering it now) and tried it out...wouldn't even crank. I could turn the key, but it wouldn't crank. I went back in and they confirmed it matched the programming on the key I gave them (OEM Ford key that came with the car). They just gave me my money back.

Funny thing, my brother now owns my SVT and had a locksmith come and duplicate his key. His OEM Ford key actually became disabled, but his duplicates worked. The ECU must have been recoded to read only the new keys and disabled the original.

·
I
13,291 Posts
Yep. My ZX3 came with a non-PATS key (guess just to open doors...?) and I didn't know any different. I thought it was the valet key and gave it to the dealership. Guy came in a few min later and asked if I had another key because the motor wouldn't even turn over. THAT was along time ago...wow.

·
FJ Premier Sponsor
12,444 Posts
I've still got my 2 factory keys plus the other key that came with the USA ECU, The Focus doesn't a security transponder, it is built into the ECU called a pats.
By swapping the ECU over I'm hoping I wont have any security issues when it comes time to firing then beast for the 1st time.

Ford won't be able to help me because the ECU codes are different and they won't have the USA codes at all, I'm hoping lock smith or ECU programmer can fix it if there's any problems

This build has been a pain in the ass from the word go
Looking at that again you said the Focus doesn't use a transponder? That's incorrect, there's a chip in the key that the car has to recognize.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts