Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
actually i dont know. My CEL is not on and I went to Autozone today to see why my car is acting up, they hooked up the scanner and it showed it passing. Go figure. I think it is the DPFE sensor going bad

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
for many items, CELs arent thrown untill the fault is recorded on two consecutive trips. Trips are defined as periods of sustained operation in excess of 5 minutes.

·
Registered
545 Posts
A fault code it only thrown for an emissions code or if another controller (ie...TCM) requests it to be turned on.

to the computer, a trip is defined as when a vehicle fits into a certain set of parameters...there is often a timer involved but there are also many other factors like engine speed, MAP voltage, that fit into a set of code enable conditions.

all codes that turn the lamp on are two-trip codes meaning the fault must occur twice in different enabling checks and they stay in memory for 40 vehicle drive cycles. the first time it fails it sets a pending code and the lamp lights the second time.

the exception for this is the misfire monitor that sets a lamp and a code immediately and stays in memory for 80 cycles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts