Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
David Anderson
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 st with the stock springs, and svt dampers. Can a set of Konis (non adjustable yellows) benefit me more on stock spring setup (koni and stock spring) than paying for a set of svt springs (svt spring and svt damper). I do not want to lower the car, as roads are bad around here, have alot dips and driveways are very steep. I just want some improved handling on the days I choose to drive hard. From your autocross opinions, what route would you go, springs or konis?

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Tough call. Konis on stock springs work, and will definitely improve the performance.

But the SVT setup will probably "handle" better. Which one will be faster? Not a clue. Either one is better than the stock shocks.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Although I haven't tried the stock springs with the Koni yellows, I'd tend to think opposite of Rob. If I could only get springs or dampers, I'd get dampers. I think the dampers make more significant of a difference.

My basis for this is that I have the SVT spring/Koni combination on my car and at the BeaveRun event earlier this year I got a chance to drive a car on track that had the SVT springs with SVT dampers. What I noticed was that the Koni yellows were a HUGE improvement over the SVT dampers (when coupled with the same springs and rear swaybar). I've also ridden shotgun on track at SummitPoint in a ZX3 with an SVT conversion and was able to feel the difference in the way the car responded to inputs. It just felt underdamped.

As for ride height, bumps, harshness...I drive on the crappy Pennsylvania roads and all over the northeast through all four seasons and think that this is an excelent compromise. Firm enough to be compenent on track or auto-x yet not to harsh to require a kidney belt.

What about posting a "wanted to buy" add in the classifieds? There's got to be somebody out there with some SVT springs sitting collecting dust after they lowered their SVT.

To save a little money and make room for a spring purchase, ever consider the Spax adjustables that BAT offers?

Oops....just re-read the original post. Non adjustable Koni yellow? I guess you can disregard my post then.

·
David Anderson
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But the Konis are 5x more expensive than a set of springs, but if they are a dramatic difference, then I know where to go, but if they are so so, then I know what to spend my money on. Ive been reading stories on how Koni will warranty their products and stand behind them 100% is why im considering them.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I am not sure that there are non-adjustable yellows. Either way, you are better off buying the best dampers you can afford than splitting the budget between springs and shocks.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I am not sure that there are non-adjustable yellows. Either way, you are better off buying the best dampers you can afford than splitting the budget between springs and shocks.
[censored]! We agree on something!

Since you mentioned that you're not looking to lower the car for looks, but you're looking to improve the performance of the car, I'd say go with a set of Koni's.

And last time I checked, any yellow Koni for a Focus is adjustable.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
[censored]! We agree on something!
We'll just agree to not talk about which dampers are the best!

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I don't think you got what I meant Penguini.

Remember, when I say "handling", I mean in the vehicle dynamics sense. It encompasses ride, feedback, adjustability, feel, etc.... not purely "stick".

No doubt the Konis will stick better than the SVT dampers. But I'm not sure they will *handle* better. There's also no doubt that using Konis with stock springs will probably stick better than SVT springs/dampers.

But again handling... I don't know if any of us can cobble something together that will beat the handling of the Ford Veh. Dyn. guys.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Since you mentioned that you're not looking to lower the car for looks, but you're looking to improve the performance of the car, I'd say go with a set of Koni's.
I will echo that sentiment as well. The SVT springs are pretty cheap--under $100 that I recall--so if you can manage, just do both at the same time (and save the headache)...but the dampers are a sure thing to do "first".

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
But again handling... I don't know if any of us can cobble something together that will beat the handling of the Ford Veh. Dyn. guys.
Yeah, but handling, as you define it is so subjective. What I consider a good ride might be too soft or firm for others. I agree, SVT did a great job at making a suspension that appeals to a huge number of people. However, if you know what you want, you should be able to do better, as you are only putting it out to a market of one.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
You're probably right. My suspension ego has been crushed by chatting with people who talk about things like "shock chuckle" and "an odd wooliness between on- and off-throttle in midcorner at sublimit cornering. "

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
I dunno... the stock SVT is a major bumpstop slammer when the backroads get many bumps/dips. The SVT is a smooth road only suspension in my opinion.

I'd personally take a Koni(or beefy shock of choice)+ZX3 spring over a stock SVT setup if I had to choose. It seems to work better on the type of backroads that I enjoy.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Koni Reds are non-adjustable, right?
I believe you're right.

Koni "Specials" are non adjustable and are red.
Koni "Sports" are adjustable and are yellow.

At least that's what I get from the Koni website. But the "Specials" are also by far the least talked about damper for the Focus. Don't think I've heard of one single person using them and I have no idea how they compare to OEM dampers or OEM SVT dampers.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
You're probably right. My suspension ego has been crushed by chatting with people who talk about things like "shock chuckle" and "an odd wooliness between on- and off-throttle in midcorner at sublimit cornering. "

CornerCarvers anyone?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
I used to think I knew a lot about suspension.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Nope. WAY beyond those guys.

Don't think I haven't checked in from time to time to witness the carnage...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 05 st with the stock springs, and svt dampers. Can a set of Konis (non adjustable yellows) benefit me more on stock spring setup (koni and stock spring) than paying for a set of svt springs (svt spring and svt damper). I do not want to lower the car, as roads are bad around here, have alot dips and driveways are very steep. I just want some improved handling on the days I choose to drive hard. From your autocross opinions, what route would you go, springs or konis?
Coming in late to the discussion, but, having driven stock ZX3, stock SVT, and now Koni yellows on stock ZX3 springs I think I can give a useful perspective to your question.

Assuming that the non-adjustable Koni's are similar to the yellow's on full soft or a little stiffer for this discussion.

1st - the SVT springs will lower the car .75", as little as that is if you are really dealing with ride-height concerns already, don't do it. I've got a set of SVT springs in the garage that I may never put on simply because I am afraid of scraping the undercarriage on some of the roads I travel during Rallies as a Marshall or part of the bannering crew.

2nd - I wasn't at all impressed with the SVT combo (dampers, springs, and sway bars) on the SVT I drove. However, once I put the Koni Yellows on the ZX3, with the stock springs, I was close to handling Nirvana (for the money that I could spend at least).

3rd - That being said, I wasn't really satisfied until I replaced the rear sway bar with an adjustable one that is essentially kept at the 22.5mm position for almost all of my driving.

My Conclusion (yours may differ):
For the occasional "aggressive" driving (in moderation, and safety first of course...) I think the Koni dampers do the job just right. Yet, be warned that you may find yourself adding a rear sway bar upgrade down the road to really tighten things up.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
"76-, 80-, 82-, 84 Series
Adjustable twin-tube hydraulic design

8040-, 8240 Series
Adjustable twin-tube low-pressure gas design"
I use these on my Mustang. They are <font color="red"> red </font> and do adjust-front has a knob, rears you have to take off, compress and twist.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts