Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping come one can give me some insight.

Im driving and the car just feels dead. You step on it and nothing happens. Then when the car gets up to about 3000 RPM it just starts shaking and then putt putts. Either got to down shift or let it putt through.

Exhaust leeks were all fixed and everything is sealed in the exahaust department. Still the same prob.

So I changed plugs. Still same thing.

I then put on new plugs wires. Exact same thing. Today I even went and bought another new set of plugs just in case.

Im running out of ideas. I do have the Xcal2 and I ran the OBD2 and everything looks good. No engine light or anything.

The car is a 2003 with 20,000km / 13,000 milea

Was thinking DPFE but I would of gotten an engine like with that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
what is fuel pressure like when the bucking starts?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do I got about checking my fuel pressure?

Any way I double checked the coil, triple checked the plugs, everything looks good. All plus are burning the same brownish color.

No discolor or smoke coming out of exahust. I notice it most once the car is warmed up and idle is around 900-800. This is also on a stock TB.

I went and bought some electronic cleaning spray and am going to try cleaning the MAF.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
can you moniter the fuel pressure with the scan tool? if not, get a fuel pressure gauge and rev the engine while watching it. you should be seeing about 45psi at all times.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awsome. I am going to give it a try. Ordering my fuel pressure gauge this monday. I did try putting in some injector cleaner so see hwo that works. DO you think it would be worth while to replace the fuel filter?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well injector cleaner did not work at all. Car is hanging and putting really bad at 3000rpm.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
well, I used a fuel filter for 80k miles once with no drop in fuel pressure. It would have to be pretty damn clogged. You could try it and its always a good idea but I wouldnt hold out too much hope.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Sometimes, the DPFE going bad won't trigger a light. You may get the symptoms of a bad DPFE for a few days/weeks before the Check Engine Light actually comes on.

Have you tried just unplugging the battery for about 30 min and go through the idle relearn process?

What about the brand of plugs and wires you are using?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the new plugs and wires i got are all stock ford. I also ran my Xcal2 OBD2 reader even with no engine lights on. It picked up nothing.

Dam Canadian holiday today :9 so I cant get a new fuel filter till tommorow. The filter could of got clogged from when I had the s/c and had the 42lbs injectors on.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
The fuel filter wouldnt hurt, but with only 13K miles ont he car it should be more then fine. But first thing I'd do is check fuel pressure either with a scan tool or gauge.

Scott

·
Registered
777 Posts
my car did something like that and it seemed to be that water was getting on the wires on the 02 sensor(cuz i had a AFR gauge spliced in and open to the elements).

I wrapped these up real well and problem solved. may not be the same, but its similar. You have an AFR gauge hooked up?

Or maybe fuel pump??

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have a AF gauge and I do have it taped up like a mofo. Even soldered but it wont hurt to double check. Thanks for the idea.

I do have the Xcal2 and im wondering if I can check fuel pressure with that?

·
Registered
777 Posts
yeah, you can select to datalog the fuel pressure across the injectors. Its in on of the categories...I think "fuel".
Im still learning myself, but from what I've picked up, it cshould be around 45 the whole time, slight fluct +/- , but right around 45.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the fuel filter replaced $100 CDN after. Any way it does seem better how ever while under the hoist I noticed something with the Magnflow muffler :S

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
holy crap, what does 100cdn equal in american money!? You can buy the fuel filter at the parts store for like 10 bucks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The filter costed $22 canadian then labour was another hit. Could of dont it myself but way to hot out to be laying under the car having gas residue get all over lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts