Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can\'t find the right color, how\'s Duplicolor spray paint ?

I can't seem to find the color I'm looking for in Plasticote (or Krylon) spray paint for my interior (looking for a red metalflake). What about duplicolor? Or has anyone used the plasticote metalflake clearcoat? Does it really add metalflake to regular paint?

And why is it that bright red is the only car color that doesn't come in metalflake?

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
Re: Can\'t find the right color, how\'s Duplicolor spray paint ?

most spray on metal-flake paints will be OVERLY flaky, like REALLY metallic. But duplicolor should work just fine as long as u prep and paint right, their paints are made for plastic. Ive never even seen the metal flak clearcoat, but Id imagine that it would provide a metalflake on TOP of the paint, which basically means silver sparkles on ur paint job, Id stick with metalflake paint.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Re: Can\'t find the right color, how\'s Duplicolor spray paint ?

I'm a big fan of Duplicolor, having painted about four sets of wheels and redo-ing several of them with the paint.

I decided to do my drag wheels in Duplicolor Metalcast red and they came out great (I just got tired of the look and went back to black.) It's a two stage system where you spray the base metalcast silver on the part first. That will give the sparkle/shimmer of metal. Then you spray on the color paint. The color paint is translucent with NO metal flakes.

So you can decide how "metal" you want to go. If you want a really metallic effect, then go very heavy on the silver and light on the color. If you want a subdued effect I would suggest getting some regular Duplicolor Silver paint (non-Metalcast) and painting the part silver, then dust the paint with the metalcast silver, then finish with the color.

Nate

1 - 3 of 3 Posts