Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the September issue of Car and Driver titled Fourgasm! They tested the JRSC SVTF with pectel and Borla exhaust and Vortech SVTF against Honda Civic,Acura RSX Type-S,Mitsu EVO,Subbie WRX,Mini Cooper S,etc.
Partial results are:

10th place: was the 2003 Jackson Racing Ford SVTF with 300hp and 230 lb-ft of torque.The car received a DNF "because the engine's electronic brain had not been perfectly calibrated to the blower."

8th Place: 2003 Vortech Engineering Ford SVTF with 270 hp and 197 lb-ft of torque.1/4 mile 14.9 sec @ 98 mph

2nd Place: 2001 AEM/Hasport Honda Civic with 349 hp and 239 lb-ft of torque.1/4 mile 14.3 sec @ 99 mph

1st Place: 2002 HKS USA Acura RSX Type-S with 304 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque.1/4 mile 15.3 sec @ 103 mph

Keep in mind these were all tuner cars brought by those companies to compete in this test so they are all highly modified.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
damn, that is disappointing. Now I know I don't know specifics such as type of tire and all, but th vortech focus making like 30whp less than tom's turbo'ed focus and a whole second slower than he has gone.

Then a 304hp car only going 15.3. That is just a disgrace. I wouldn't even show if I had that kind of power and only making those times.

Ok, so I don't know the tires or other mods, but like you said they were all highly modified. So they should have been ready to produce..and they didn't. So what did the JRSC car do in the 1/4?

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The JRSC SVTF that was brought there cost $34,770 fully modified but because the ECU wasn't properly calibrated to the blower they weren't able to run any times around the test course resulting in a DNF(did not finish).But the closing comment said:"But based on our street drive,the Jackson Racing supercharger kit promises to add wide ranging power to the SVT engine.It bears investigation by those who want a muscular Focus".Plus the Jetters here that have already installed or have ordered the JRSC have been extremely pleased with the power gains and reliability.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks for mentioning this. In fact, I just asked Kris about the gains of the bigger boost, JRSC; and there it is!
Basically, that's a 100 more hp than the base JRSC and SVT, which through my understanding is around mid 14's range.
With a 100hp where do we hit??
Back in the day...they used to gauge 10hp per .10 of a second, so, possibly mid 13's...
But it's got to be tuned...
Cheers

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
That RSX is the most pathetic thing i have ever seen. Running only 15.3 with 300+hp
, a near stock SVTF could run a time like that. How did it get 1st place with a time like that. I think the judges work for honda

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Just wait for the issue.. there are other things regarding that car. They probably had major issues with traction. It can't be easy putting 265 torque to the ground. I dunno... but there is more to it.

One of our own (fastrax turbo) helped tune that HKS RSX...

·
Registered
993 Posts
You guys need to realize the 1/4 times sucked probably due to traction loss. The trap speeds are decent, so the times will come. Any idea how many runs they were able to get in to improve upon those times? Also, were the runs at an actual 1/4 track or on some deserted road with less traction than a track?

If there are people on this board running 15-15.2 in our cars with bolt ons and weight loss, I see no reason other than driver/traction problems when the car is pushing 270HP to not get a better time than they did. I'm sure if you drove the car on the road, you'd be hanging with some pretty quick cars.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Well whoever was driving it should have had the experience to combat the loss of traction. Even if he had a loss of traction it shouldnt make that big of a difference, my friend with a camaro z28 has alot more torque then that= no traction off the line and he is still running mid 13's.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Rear wheel drive is a HUGE difference than Front wheel drive. RWD provides MORE traction under acceleration, whereas FWD decreases traction under acceleration. Plus camaro's have more rubber to bite with!

Just wait for the article to come out, maybe if it's on the stands, I'll scan it tonight and post it, so we can see all the reasons it took first.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
The 1/4 was on a straight portion of the CA Speedway. So this was dirty asphault on street tires, with no grippy rubber already laid on the track.

The JRSC'd Focus didn't get the DNF's because of engine mgmt issues, it was because the speed sensor thingy (forget the name... its in the article) broke off on their first launch. The car ran fine, besides a bit of a stumble apparently, but because Ford never got around to sending them the 44# injectors they need, they were maxing out the 36#'rs they had by something like 6k, and after that had to pull massive amounts of timing to keep it from grenading itself. Had they been running the 44# injectors and had another day to tune, it would have been a totally different story. I believe Oscar said they did manage one 0-60 run which was like 5.3 seconds IIRC.

As for the Vortech kit, keep in mind, this was the bolt-on kit, not a super-tuner custom built and tuned mobile. Vortech also apparently went with the Baer brake kit and unfortunately had some horrible brake biasing issues. Too much bias to the rear meant under hard braking the rears would just lock and the fronts kept rolling. A stock SVTF would of no doubt had much better braking.

As for the Civic, keep in mind it was a frankenstein engine. Accord bottom end with RSX-S head, and all kinds of other craziness. So considering both Focuses had pretty much stock internals, they didn't do too badly.

The RSX-S... well, they have a HUGE numberof people tuning them, so no doubt they're going to be turning some great numbers. Not too mention Honda actually seems to support the tuner community. Plus since Jon was working on it, you had to know it was going to 0wn.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Duly noted, although, it seems, by the other numbers that they did get traction. Again, I'm speculating , as I haven't read the article.
However, in competition, 1st place is 1st place and as why SVT J/R had there issues and they were brought back to 10th , as DNF.
Now, my only point was for a low 1/4 mile time with that hp and tq and to take 1st place seems odd or not fair- regardless of my 1/4 mile times.
Like I said I haven't read the article.
cheers

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Nevermind.. I don't need to post the article since Slick just laid out the fact

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Now, my only point was for a low 1/4 mile time with that hp and tq and to take 1st place seems odd or not fair- regardless of my 1/4 mile times.
Like I said I haven't read the article.
cheers
The judges worked for honda

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
1/4 mile and HP numbers were not the only measured things to determine placement. They also measured 0-130-0, 0-60, and a road course time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They tested 16 4 bangers and it will be on TNN Aug 9 & 10 at 12:30pm est. Car and Driver Television

·
Registered
680 Posts
That being said with J/R , with proper injectors and tuning, would those number increase, as far as hp and tq? And I'm also curious if this IS the product that they have as the big boost, of course with the proper injectors and what not??
cheers

1 - 20 of 40 Posts