Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I had the early 2000 manifold. My car was built in 01/00, and the VIN number says it's number 165,xxx built. I was reading that the numbers VIN build begins at 100,000, so would that make my car number 65,xxx? It was built in Mexico.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Look at the manifold and can tell quick, after 2000 they are kind of squarish and are in two halves with a nasty seam. The pre's are round ports and mostly seamless.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
should have it man...think april was the cut off on those manis....look down in there and at the runners...if their smooth lookin and nor 'mushed' w/a seems around both sides of the mani...then thats it...lemme dig up those pix of each 4 u.

courtesy of chris' old thread...

2000-present on left, 99-4/00 on right

here's hopefully what u have under the hood.

gl,

-Ult

[ 03-04-2003, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, I'm about to go look, after this question....

...get ready for this...

where is the intake manifold at??

/ends stupid question

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
hehe, underneath ur TB (which is under ur intake tube, but i think u know that). in between the fuse box and the alternator behind the engine.

good luck,

-Ult

[ 03-04-2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just took a look, here's what I found.

The runners look very smooth, more so then I thought they would. There is a seam, but it's very thin and the only way to seperate the peice in half would be to cut it. This seam runs along the middle of the tubes, not on the front (as referenced in the pictures below).

What do you guys think? I think I've got it!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
what i meant by seam, was a big fat 1 all the way up and down each runner....all i can think of 2 explain it is the meat of a whopper stickin out from the bun all the way around....that kinda seam...not the small line/etch on the runner where they were joined (if u have that, thats good!).

-Ult

[ 03-04-2003, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UltegraSTI, thanks a million, that seam was the last doubt I had. WOHOO +5 HP!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
So whats the difference between the two? Different runner lengths? Extrude Honed? Better ports?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Another reason why I am holding on to my focus as long as possible. Not to mention I have the magnisum valve cover.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
crazy...cleaner ports, cleaner flow, marginally larger runners. just a better piece overall...sadly, ford knew they could save a few bux w/the latter piece.

-Ult

1 - 12 of 12 Posts