Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend was Car & Drivers 50th Anniversary celebration at Indianapolis Raceway Park. Some of the events were bracket racing, car show, autocrossing vs. editors, and supercar hotlaps. Unfortunately I signed up to late to autocross but I did 2 supercar hotlaps.

Soon after we got there, a Mercedes McLaren SLR, Porsche Carerra GT, MB S65 AMG, etc. just sitting to the side. The autocross course had Mustangs running at the time, but there also new GTIs (a couple RHD ones too), S2000s, 350Zs, SLK55 AMGs, and others. We went over to the drag strip to see the bracket racing, and it was cool. We saw Csaba Csere run the S65 (12.5 I think), but most cars were running kinda slow.

I then went into the 5/8 oval for my first hotlap. I could tell it would be cool when the cars running were flying by me, getting sideways, and really running it. I could also see the donut marks where Petter Soldberg had been in a new STi. I waited for about an hour, then got my ride: CTS-V Speed GT car w/Andy Pilgrim driving. It was tough to get into because there was about a foot of plastic or carbon fiber, then the roll cage, so it was feet, body, then hood. I was the last one to run since the car was having tire trouble. The course was 2 laps around the oval, and there was a left right corner in turn one to make it a partial road course. The ride was amazing. From the moment he left to the very end, he was driving it hard. I didn't see the speedometer but I heard that it was hitting 120 mph on the backstretch. He even got it sideways on the turn into the staging lane.

I was worried my second ride might not be what it was scheduled to be, but then it showed up, Fina McLaren F1 GTR! I was waiting for about 2 hours for it, but was it ever worth it! They only took one person at a time, and I sat to the left of the driver. I'm not sure who drove it, but he was only 20! I believe the car ran in the 1997 24 hrs. of Le Mans. This ride was again just as good as the last. Flat out the whole time. I have a video from my digital camera that I'll try and post at some point. It shakes, but its still good.

While the McLaren ran, a PTG e36 M3 race car ran too. They were having trouble with the door, so they eventually just took it off.
Also, some BMW school drivers were giving rides in new 3 series sedans and they were having some fun. Drifting around the whole course and getting pretty close to each other. The one driver kept having to switch cars because he was roasting the rears. Other hot lap cars included a Speed GT Audi RS6 (which broke down at one point although it looked like it was giving fun rides), Viper SRT-10s, Carerra GT (although they ran out of tires Saturday), and more.

Both cars were awesome, but I figure this will probably be my only chance to ride in a McLaren F1!
I just want to thank Car and Driver for a great day, and quite a bargain. (Each hotlap was only 10 bucks).

Now for the pictures (I'll post more tommorrow night)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
splooge

You got to ride in an F1 GTR?

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Holy High Octane, Batman!

Those are some schweeet cars and pics.

Lo0ks like you went to heaven for the day.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ Someone out there said it was Hurley Haywood's personal Carrera GT. He ran it in the hot lap session saturday but ran out of tires.

·
HELLAFRUSH
9,744 Posts
I'd almost rather have the M1! That is [censored] awesome! Dude, how'd you score so hard?

·
Dyno Queen
7,859 Posts
I'd almost rather have the M1! That is [censored] awesome! Dude, how'd you score so hard?
Ride alongs in all of those amazing cars were only a few dollars. I missed out because I waited too long to register. :-(

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
I was worried my second ride might not be what it was scheduled to be, but then it showed up, Fina McLaren F1 GTR! I was waiting for about 2 hours for it, but was it ever worth it! They only took one person at a time, and I sat to the left of the driver. I'm not sure who drove it, but he was only 20! I believe the car ran in the 1997 24 hrs. of Le Mans. This ride was again just as good as the last. Flat out the whole time. I have a video from my digital camera that I'll try and post at some point. It shakes, but its still good.
The McLaren you rode in was GTR #17R. It raced at the 1996 24Hrs of LeMans finishing in 11th place, and at the Silverstone BPR GT Championship race that same year finishing in 4th place. The car is now kept here in the USA, owned by BMW North America. They store the car at PTG Racing where they prep it for certain BMW sponsored track and show events. It's one of only 18 short tailed McLaren F1 GTRs, and one of 9 built in 1996. The following year they would build 10 of the longtail GTRs.

Congrats on getting a ride - that must have been incredible!

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Pelton25, I was hoping you would post up a little background informataion on this particular car. And yes, it was incredible!

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Sweet!!

It is nice to see that a Jetter attended this event as I have been reading about it in the magazine and also seen it on their TV show.

So did anyone end up taking Csaba Csere's offer? "You think you're faster than I am? Prove it!"
Thanks for the report and posting of the cool pics.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yep, look for video tonight or tomorrow night.

Solberg really did treat a few lucky bastards to some amazing, pant staining, driving antics. I got a few of the better ones, but missed the massive, session ending burn out. You may not like how the new STi looks, but seeing it put to work by a pro you can never argue about it's performance pedigree.

ZincYellowZX3: Was that you we saw near the 38th St./465 interchange? We were in the silver SVT with black wheels.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"You think you're faster than I am? Prove it!"
I think he was faster in all the drag races I saw. I'm not sure if he was involved with the autocross or not.

Jay_tuck: When did you see the Focus, and did it have black Rotas? It could have been me if it was Saturday evening, but I rode out in my friend's car on Sunday.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
the '06 STi they had, did it have the facelift? i think they said it is coming in '06 but it might have been halfway through the year or something

1 - 20 of 41 Posts