Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my car is leaking some sort of fluid. I checked all of the fluids that I could from the engine bay, and they were all fairly full; I'm not sure if on the MTX equipped car you can check transmission fluid from the engine, however I didn't see anything in the manual that would indicate that this is possible.
Anyway, the leak appears to be coming from the rear center area of the engine. I couldn't get to the area, as I don't have access to a lift. Does anyone have any insight on what would cause this? It does feel like oil, and it is staining the garage floor, so I don't think its the a/c compresor
TIA

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
what color is it? does it have a horrible stinky smell? Sweet smell? Oily could be oil, trans fluid, or even coolant. If it's hot and humid, the A/C Condenser drains, but it's not usually oily unless it mixes with something. it's condensed water.

You can get a better judge of the color by wiping a white paper towel over the spot on the floor. If the floor is horribly dirty, it will all look brown. Clean the floor and wait for it to leak again.

Trans fluid will be reddish, maybe brownish red, and will smell horrible, like a mix of oil and really putrid detergent.

Coolant, of course, will be green, or orange, and have a sugary aroma.

Oil... is brown or black, and smells like...oil...and stuff

I hope I don't come off condescending, but the first thing I do when I have a leak is to see what color it is and what it smells like. Sometimes, I even taste it. I don't recommend you do that.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From tasting it myself its not trans. fluid or coolant. It smells a bit like just plain motor oil, but is slightly thicker in viscosity. It seemed pretty yellow/brownish when I took a sample of it. I took a couple of pics of the general area from where the oil is leaking. The lighting is horrible, but I hope they provide at least a general idea of the area.

Here is an image of the paper towel that I took a sample of it with.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The valve cover gasket was clean, but the PCV hose was oily around where it connects to the engine. Would the PCV hose really leak that much though?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would a dead PCV valve throw a CEL?
At any rate, it's going to the local Ford dealer monday.
Thanks for your help, though.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Replace your PCV valve. It doesn't say it in the manual, but since they are about $3.50, you should do it every 20,000 miles or less. Replaceing mine eliminated most of the trace oil seepage from the top of the motor.

Since you have a real leak, I would look at finding a new grommet and making sure that the tube is in tact and plugged in correctly. Blow the tube clean with 3M throttle plate cleaner at the very least.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts