Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving today home from getting some stuff for another project, car just up and turned off on the road. odometer reads "- - - - -" like when you're flashing it. had to have it flatbedded to my uncle's shop. With the SCT tune, is it possible for the ECU to just reject it while driving? or is my ECU actually shot now?

that being said, how much do RLA6 ECU's go for nowadays?

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Re: Car just died. ECU?

ECU's are about 400.00 plus or minus 50.00. But then they ahve to reset all your PATS codes in all other parts of the car which is not cheap.

With that said. When the car died, did you still have electrical power?

·
Registered
19,113 Posts

Actually the ECU is $232.29 plus a $100.00 core charge.

As long as yours has not bee physically altered you would get the core charge back when you return your old one to me.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts

ahhh that's what I remember, I didnt' turn in a core.. so I paid about 350.00 (taxes and all).

But I agree, doubtful it's the ECU.

·
Formerly focus_wrc
7,422 Posts

i think SlickShoes had the same problem but not sure pm him.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Mine does that at least 1 a month or so, i just pull over and reflash it, it works just fine when i do

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

i still have electrical power. i'm going to reflash the car tomorrow (it's 30 miles away at my uncle's shop, which luckily was 7 miles from where it stopped).

FORDSVTPARTS; if that doesn't work i'll be in touch with you.
oh, btw, my car is silver too. and it's my daily driver. do i get a special price

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

i think SlickShoes had the same problem but not sure pm him.
Mine did something sort of similar. But I wasn't driving. In fact, I had just stopped to get gas, and afterwards went to start the car and it powered up, but when I tried starting the engine it clicked, and completely died. Meaning zero power. Seemed like your typical blown fuse, but they all were fine. Eventually, it just came back on its own.

A couple weeks later it did the same thing. I was talking to Raitchison here in SD also, and he had the exact same thing happen to him. In his case, it ended up being a fried fuse box. Not a fuse, but the wiring for the box itself.

Embarassingly enough, my car has been in my garage sitting patiently for me to get this fixed since then. I'm shooting to make this happen tomorrow... Belacyrf has heard me saying that for weeks now though.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts

Embarassingly enough, my car has been in my garage sitting patiently for me to get this fixed since then. I'm shooting to make this happen tomorrow... Belacyrf has heard me saying that for weeks now though.
Ok I'm giving 20:1 odds. Any takers ????

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Grounding problems for me or for slick?

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Car is up and running. The water pump for the WTA IC system died and shorted (i'm assuming) and blew the diode for the ECU, which it was powered thru (mistake, i know). i'm now tapped off a 40 amp fuse to a relay, so there no longer a direct connection. now to get another water pump.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts

Glad you found it, but sucks that it failed!!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

ayup. just ordered another one, different design that is hopefully more robust. (it's also twice as much money).

·
Registered
686 Posts

glad you found the problem quite quickly, by the way what brand water pump did you buy?

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

the one i had was a teel low power marine submersible pump Teel # 1P811A . the new one is an LVM 105 that can pump diesel fuel so it's cool. i use an antifreeze mixture because, like you, i'm in an area that gets cold. i think maybe the pump couldn't deal with it. it lasted about a year.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

Car is up and running. The water pump for the WTA IC system died and shorted (i'm assuming) and blew the diode for the ECU, which it was powered thru (mistake, i know).
Talk about this diode... Where is this?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts