Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so embarrassed. Nearly three years later, and only a handful of half hearted attempts to take care of the exterior of The Raven...the lack of detailing is painfully obvious.

So now I'd like try and undo what my neglect caused. Paint swirls, dirt, caked wax, millions of tiny scratches...oh yeah and the car is BLACK is its EVEN worse. The car just never seems to shine anymore.

My question...what would be the best way to get the car back to or close to what it looked like when I bought it (w/o repaint)...take it to a pro detailer or do it all myself (with money not being a factor). If I do it myself what do I use and how long would it take. Thanks.

CCC

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one?

CCC

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
My personal opinion would be to take her to a professional detailer since they will have all of the equipment plus cleaners and wax to restore the original shine.A good professional detailer will also use cleaning clay to remove imbedded contaminates that might be in the paint finish.

OR

Wash then dry with a microfiber towel
Claybar
Then a 3 step system like Mequiar's or Mother's 1.paint cleaner 2.polish 3.wax

I am sure others will post what they recommend too.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i say just take it to a pro and spend the cash because i guess money isnt a factor for you
Just think it would be worth the slpurge to take care of it now after 3yrs of not doing everything I can, so that I can get of to a good start. Plus I'm doing pretty well up here in NY as a photography intern, but that'll change when I get back to school, hence, trying to get it done now.

If I'm looking for a pro, what am I looking for? What should they do and how much should it cost for the quality stuff? Just want to be able to spot a "fake" by their too-good-to-be-true pricing or something like that.

CCC

·
Registered
173 Posts
CCC where in New York are you. I might be able to get a hold of a few people that can do this for you that do amazing..transforming work.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Upstate...Elimira,NY to be exact. Ithaca is only like 20min from here and Binghampton is about an hour.

CCC

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know it may be far, but I'm in Brooklyn NY if you want to get some help.

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
If ur back in CT before u go back to school, I have a guy in Hartford that details well.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If ur back in CT before u go back to school, I have a guy in Hartford that details well.
How much...I will be back from the 6th-9th...but then I'll be driving 1200mi back to school, ruining anything I have done...but let me know anyway.

CCC

·
[dd] - Dentless Dave
8,742 Posts
Just want to be able to spot a "fake" by their too-good-to-be-true pricing or something like that.
Well, I would look for someone who makes you feel comfortable that they have the knowledge and the skill to work on your car. Ask them if you can see what products they use. If they use quality products, then the outcome will be quality.

As for the too good to be true part, Sometimes people say that about my pricing on PDR and Detail, but my thing is that I want to stomp out the competition. I'm a very agressive business person. I usually charge about $150-200 to do a full exterior detail which includes:

First wash and dry with chamios
claybar
Low speed buff with masking of all plastic
Second wash with chamios(to get the excess compound off)
Sealer on all painted surfaces
Rain-X if applicable
Tire Shine per customers request

If you're a friend, I'll gladly knock about 50 bux off that price.

I'd usually be glad to do any little extra work that may be needed for free (i.e. cleaner wax, blacken out textured plastic, polish chrome, etc), but I charge a little more if you have minor scratches to take out. Not like swirls,they come with the detail, but scratches that are a little deeper than a buffer alone can take out.

My results usually have peoples mouth drop when they see their car, then add in the price, and it makes them all that much happier. I take pride in what I do because it's fun.

The summer is usually my motorcycle season too, so even more fun!

So, it's all about making you feel comfortable with a job well done. Someone that looks at it like it's fun instead of just a job is someone that I could trust. I would also see if they have a portfolio of pictures of cars they have done, because that will give you a good idea of what magic can be done.

dentless dave!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
CCC you should have told me that you wanted to detail your car. We could have done it at my house. I bet that we could of had that car all shiney again!

Good luck at school!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts