Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my car the other morning, after installing a tv. The engine idle perfectly. The following morning when i was going to work the car started to climb rpms inbetween shifts. I figure it was the FC tb sticking. I arrive at home and look at the TB and it wasn't. so i just pass it off. The next morning i get in my car idling fine. As i procced to work the car starts to sky rocket to 5K! i get the car back to the house. i go to work and come back. i get in my car and turn it on, the car starts to climb to 5K and almost continues to climb more!.....

what can be causing this? is this common, i hear that it is on SVT's but regular ZX3's????

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
check that the throttle cable is secured in the bracket where the rubber grommet is...

sometimes I fool around with the engine and it gets loose and my engine blasts off to nowhere and I have to shut the car off and secure the throttle cable...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have looked at the cable...but the day before it would idle around 2K...i will check but i dont know for sure if it is it. anything else?

·
Registered
550 Posts
tps sensor could be bad, that's what it was for me

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
OR, you could have an Incorrect T/B (Or TV
).
When I replaced my T/B w/ another one temporarily while mine was being ported, it did the Exact same thing.
There are at least 4 focus 2.0 T/B's. If you have the wrong one, it'll go crazy. The TPS is in an entirely different position on each of the T/B's, and the wrong one will confuse the computer in an instant.
It's not quite as simple as bolting another carburetor on an old V-8.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, i fixed it. it was the trottle idle screw..with the vibration of the engine with the poly engine mounts. the screw kept falling down while i shifted between gears...thanks again for the help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts