Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color="blue"> Hey guys/girls i am having an issue with my cooling system

I have a warm air intake (this may be the problem) but it is cold out yet when i am at a dead stop my car literally overheats it keeps rising and rising...then when i punch the gas it drops significantly do i need to buy a heat shield for the intake or would i be better for me to modify the stock intake housing as to cover the filter...

Thanks </font>

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i have the same problem but mine didnt start doing it until i took out a few road signs
my fan is completely broken and radiator is almost shot. im still drivin tho (even tho i shouldnt) but i have started to try and coast as much as i can and it hasnt done it in days so now i just have to save for the new parts

BTW where are you located in jersey? im right at the end of the AC expressway?

·
Registered
729 Posts
i would get one of those laser temp thingies from auto zone and check the heat coming off the engine,,,i dont trust my water temp gauge at all,,,,mainly for the fact that no matter how hard i drive it never moves,,,,

·
Registered
641 Posts
This may help you...also, switch on your heater to dissapate the heat a bit.

overheated

The car is still at the shop now, they are replacing the sensor for the fan as well as the thermostat. They are nice enough to give me 03 Taurus for a loaner

=dRe=

·
Registered
729 Posts
The car is still at the shop now, they are replacing the sensor for the fan as well as the thermostat. They are nice enough to give me 03 Taurus for a loaner

=dRe=
they gave my friend the same car when his truck was i the shop,,,,it had like 7 miles on it,,,,he took it back the next day with 117 miles on it,,,makin all kinds of noises,,,tranny was almost blown,,,motor was almost blown,,,u get the idea

·
Registered
411 Posts
i would get one of those laser temp thingies from auto zone and check the heat coming off the engine,,,i dont trust my water temp gauge at all,,,,mainly for the fact that no matter how hard i drive it never moves,,,,
Check ur thermostats.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Your better off getting a bomz cold air intake, but this isnt the cause of the problem. Its definitly better then ur hot air intake.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font color="blue">If the fans work, then go to:
#3 Check the water pump. If the water pump is bad, you will know it by either leaks from the pump body or by excessive noise from bad nearings (usual cause of water pump failure-seals fail, pump leaks, bearings lose lubrication and then fail).
#4 If the water pump is good, then it's likely to be the thermostat. Go ahead and replace the thermostat; It's cheap and fairly easy to do.

So i am confused if the fans indeed work change the thermostat and it should work.. PARDON MY IGNORANCE but how does the thermostat control the fans and i am not being a smartazz about this thanks and i am from TRENTON </font>

·
Registered
641 Posts
I got my car back from the dealership today. They replaced the thermostat as well as the cooling fan circuit. Apparently there were 2 issues. First the cooling fan wasn't working correctly. When the engine reaches certain temperature, the fan should kick in...also if your AC is turned on. The cooling fan test showed that the circuit was giving a false signal so the fan sometimes doesn't turn on. I guess my car was running a bit higher temp all the time, nothing major though.

The second issue was the thermostat...this thing was busted and the gauge was reading the temp wrong. Note, I had no leak whatsoever...I believe if there is a leak in the radiator area that may indicate a failure water pump

Anyway....you need to know if it's really running too damn hot it should burn your oil. If not, most likely your thermostat, and/or that cooling fan sensor that fail.

My car is running great now and...FOCUS > TAURUS (my rental)

=dRe=

1 - 9 of 9 Posts