Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last three years we have done a judged car show as opposed to a popular vote car show. Popular vote car shows turn into friends voting for friends and some of the less popular but outstanding builds get ignored. So for 2014 we plan on continuing with the judging however we do want to have a single popular vote done for one people's choice car.

So far I'm looking at this:

FR Car Show Classes: Same as Carlisle classes but we give our own awards. Same as last year

FR Car Show Judges: Last year it was just Ron and me and it took quite a time for the two of us to walk through all of the cars and agree on scores. The previous year we had a team of 4 and we all went through and judged every aspect of each car. Time was running long so we split up into groups of 2 and finished the judging. But that way not every judge saw every car.

So my thought for 2014 for judges is to use a 4 person system once again but this time each judge would be responsible for only one aspect of the car.

Interior
Exterior
Engine
Suspension/Wheels

With only one judge critiquing each aspect of the car, the judging should be more fair and quicker. And once again the judging will be about quality not quantity. A car with few mods but extremely clean should score higher than a car with many mods thrown together with no flow.

I will be one of the judges so we need three more. Ron can decide if he wants to be a judge again as well. If he does not, then we need three more judges. They can be one of us in the planning group, or if you have someone you recommend, please let me know. Whoever judges should be knowledgeable in the area they will judge and should probably have their own car rated high in that area.

On top of the judged classes, we will once again have sponsor picks where the sponsor chooses their favorite car, or has a representative of their company choose a car for them.

Now here's where the participant judging is a challenge...

We have permission to use the celebrity tent at Carlisle to do our awards ceremony. This tent is about where "Winner's Circle" shows up on this map.

Our awards would be about 5pm, a lot sooner than in previous years and a lot less time to count judging scores. I think we could pull off our judging as well as one overall "People's Choice" winner, but we wouldn't have time to tally up participant scores for every class AND our judging.

BTW, getting to use a site on the fairgrounds for our awards is a HUGE deal! This will change things up big time for us in 2014!

And please remember, everything you read in here needs to stay in here until Ron or I make it public.

·
I Drive a Focus.
2,374 Posts
I think that the judges just shouldn't be able to vote on their own car. There's not really much bias to be had anyway, as were all friends with each other anyway. For instance, if Jeremy's a judge that would make him ineligible to win best engine or best exterior. I don't really think that fair. I see the logic behind the cars not being eligible because there is always people who are going to say "Oh he was a judge so they clearly just gave it to him", but I also don't think it's fair. I used Jeremy as an example because if he was a judge last year, that would have taken his car out of the running by this theory and the judges should be just as deserving to win.

I'll put it this way, Jason. We're all here to support and further our community. We also all spend tons of money, time and effort on our cars. You spend tons of time putting this together and if the judges feel your car has the best interior/exterior, whatever it may be, then I think you should get that prize. Judge or not, as YOU didn't judge your own car. Just something to think about. I see the complications this arises and understand why it hasn't been done. Either way we do it does not matter to me, I just figured I'd raise this point.

-Matt

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see your point, but at any major car show if a judge had their car in the show, it is not judged. If a judge's car did win, it would cause an uproar, there is no doubt in my mind about that.

What does everyone else think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

·
I Drive a Focus.
2,374 Posts
I see your point, but at any major car show if a judge had their car in the show, it is not judged. If a judge's car did win, it would cause an uproar, there is no doubt in my mind about that.

What does everyone else think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
I understand both sides. To be honest, whatever way is the easiest for keeping people's tempers down and from people getting all pissed off is the way I'm down for. Just one of the food for thought ideas I figured I'd bring to the table while everything's in the early onset stages.

-Matt

·
Potato Camera Operator
8,401 Posts
If we make it clear that judges won't be able to vote for themselves, it would help, but I think people would still be concerned about judges being in cahoots with each other.
I'd toss my hat in the ring for judging, as I know my car will most likely wind up having a repeat of this past year. I just don't have the time or resources at my apartment that I did at my parents' house to take care of the car like I used to.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
On top of the judged classes, we will once again have sponsor picks where the sponsor chooses their favorite car, or has a representative of their company choose a car for them.
I'm an autocrosser, so my car is bone stock for competition in autocross. I've never judged before but have seen it done on T.V. :lol:

With some coaching, I might be of use.

Jason, you mention sponsors, who are they and, do you want some more? I think I could get a few on board for the event. Let me know. I'm currently working on getting one of the SEMA ST's to attend the event.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ron is in charge of the sponsor end and I'm in charge of the planning end basically. Talk to Ron about the sponsor aspect and he can fill you in on what we need.

To avoid confusion we want things to go through Ron or me as lead organizers before anything is done. We need and appreciate everyone's help, but things will have to flow through Ron or me for ease of communication and to reduce confusion.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
I will of course be approaching previous Focus Rising sponsors as well as all of the sponsors of our four sites. I'm open to any other possible sponsors that anyone might suggest, and if anyone has a personal connection with them, we can work together to land them.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
I'm currently working on getting one of the SEMA ST's to attend the event.
Can you share who that is?

I know that Ken is working on a couple (I won't speak for him though) and that I'm talking to mountune.

Also, it probably goes without saying, but all of the planning aspects of this event should not go outside of this forum. Some of these items are meant to either be revealed publicly at a later date, or be a surprise to those attending.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

Green Filter Focus ST. They are headquartered in PA. I have a few contacts there. I have a few other's to contribute if you like:

Ford Racing
Shelby of America
Willwood Brakes
CPE
Spyder

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts
So, what are your thoughts Ron? I'd like to get started on things but wanted to hear from you first.
We already have strong ties with Ford Racing going back many years. So, I'll handle that.

The others sound good. With Green, providing their car for display in our area will cover the sponsorship. But, what were you thinking for the others?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Was thinking about having them donate prizes for give away / raffle. Don know what they would offer but it can't hurt to ask.

·
King wheel-whore. BOW before me!
4,743 Posts
Because there are new people in this private forum as there are every year I must state this. What I discuss is NOT public knowledge and does not leave this forum. It does not get talked about on other forums, at meets, with other forum leaders via PM, or anywhere other than this private forum. If I see or hear it elsewhere (which I will) it will be reported to Jason and Ron.

Now onto the subject at hand:

Green Filter ST is pretty much already lined up. They are friends of the company and in a weird way actually partially started by our company (long story and not public knowledge so I won't discuss it here). Basically I should have it in one of the displays at the event (more than likely Building G).

Ford Racing already has plans to bring ST's, they will based on our (Carlisle) discussions with them, but expect less from last year as Mustang group has more funding and Focus ST is last year's push. Mustang is a 2014 push, like it or not. Fiesta ST will have some push but Mustang will override that mostly.

CPE is a Midway company and we (Carlisle) are already working with them for 2014. If they are a midway company again they will have their ST in their booth more than likely.

The TJIN Edition ST is pretty much slated as well to be there but once again one of our (Carlisle) midway clients.

The Vaccar MK3 Sedan, Fiesta, and new Transit are almost lined up but once again one of our (Carlisle) midway clients.

The MRT Fiesta ST is close to lined up but once again one of our (Carlisle) midway clients.

I'm missing one more as well but can't recall it right now.

·
4,743 Posts
Was thinking about having them donate prizes for give away / raffle. Don know what they would offer but it can't hurt to ask.
We did this in the past but some sponsors didn't follow what they said so I would let Ron go thru the proper channels with them as it avoids issues.

·
4,743 Posts
BTW Jason, the building I'm going to give you is Building R for the Awards.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts