Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I purchased my '03 Twilight Blue Focus 5 spd (took delievery) on Feb. 1st I made my 1st payment on MArch 18th. made it on the 18th of every month since then. I get my car taxes in the mail today... is it already time for me to pay them? I thought you had a year before they were due for the 1st time?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Nah man, it's right. Same **** happened to me, to the tune of 193 dollars (in NC). I move here and it's like 85 for a year...woo woo!

Was like 2 payments in, and bam...yet another bill...for some reason I thought this was taken care of when I bought the thing...must have been some other tax...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$193?!?! WTF?!?! mine a re $396!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think here it is based on the initial MSRP for the vehicle, then it goes down a bit every year for five years.

I think it comes to about 100 or so. I will not know for a couple months when I renew with my new car.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
why don't they just add that cost to the price of gas.

paying ofr registartion is silly, tax gas it penalizes those who drive the most, not everyone who owns a car. IMO excessively taxing property is bad, what does property do to anyone?

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
If you are talking about registration renewals it expires on whatever your birthday falls on not when you purchased your car.So yes it would be an annual thing to renew.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
i think they mean the property tax in addition to the registration, gas tax, and other associated costs that comes with life in general.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Don't forget, there are different taxes from state to state. Here in Massachusetts we have to pay a %5.00 sales tax on any car. That is a one time thing but on a $20,000 car that is an additional $1000.00 you need to pay on top of the resigration fee and license plates. Plus, every year in Ma. you have to pay an excise tax on your car. That is considered a road use tax and is
%2.5 every year of the value of your car. Plus, we have about 23cents per gallon additional gas taxes. That is why it is called taxachusetts. Also, state income tax,sales tax,inheritance tax and the list goes on.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Damn you! I just paid $140.00 2 weeks ago. One cool thing is I bought my car last Memorial Day ( Yes, it will be almost one year w/ the Focus) and so that meant I didn't have to pay registration like 2 months later, I had one year to prepare!
But I can't complain cause my parents had to pay $330 for their Expedition.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Welcome to Maine, the highest taxed state in the U.S.

besides having to pay the low 5% sales tax, the registration of about $28, the yearly $15 inspection fee, we have the yearly local excise tax for my '02 SVTF was $335.04 and my '03 Ranger was $645.12. Ouch

There are minor loop holes that I only had to pay sales tax on the difference between the price of the SVTF and my trade of an '01 2.5RS and was able to just transfer the registration and tag for $15 and wait until my birthday to pay the local excise tax which then was based on a year old SVTF.

Insurance used to be cheap in Maine when I first moved here two years ago, but since then my rates through USAA have raised 35% through no fault of my own.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hehehe..."registration" or "car tax" in Oregon is $30 for any normal passenger vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts