Ford Focus Forum banner

Car Won't Start

580 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  captainhook 
#1 ·
Car Won\'t Start

This morning my car ran fine and when I went to drive it this afternoon I started it and it ran for about a minute and the it sputtered a few times and then stalled and would not start again. While it was sputting the car had very little power. I this related to a failed fuel pump? Thanks for your help in advance or sorry for posting this in the wrong area.

#3 ·
Re: Car Won\'t Start

check to see if the fuel cutoff button is pushed up. If so, push it back down and see what happens. Also, take off the kick panel to make sure that the switch didnt come unplugged. That happened to me once.

#6 ·

I had that problem..
2000-2001 Focus' have a problem with the stock fuel pump..
It seems that on a half of tank of gas or less the fuel pump well fail and your car well stall (happened to me)..
I'm not saying that's whats wrong with your car but there's a high percentage that's the case..
See you local Ford dealer they'll tell you about it and check it for you...It costed me $600 dollars (
) to fix the problem and get a new fuel pump...Oh yeah, it'll well not show up on a OBD II scanner, the dealer that fixed my car used the scanner and came up negative...You must tell the dealer about the fuel pump problem or else they'll never check it!!

#7 ·

I had that problem..
2000-2001 Focus' have a problem with the stock fuel pump..
It seems that on a half of tank of gas or less the fuel pump well fail and your car well stall (happened to me)..
I'm not saying that's whats wrong with your car but there's a high percentage that's the case..
See you local Ford dealer they'll tell you about it and check it for you...It costed me $600 dollars (
) to fix the problem and get a new fuel pump...Oh yeah, it'll well not show up on a OBD II scanner, the dealer that fixed my car used the scanner and came up negative...You must tell the dealer about the fuel pump problem or else they'll never check it!!
Your are refering to ppl taking hard right turns and the clogged sock filter cavitating the pump cause the car to sputter and stall. i have never heard of anyone having this problem at a stand still.

Check your fuel pump fuse, the fuel shut off switch ect ect.

If nothing works you might be the freak case of the sock gettin sucked into the pump at a stnd still. Drop the tank clean the sock and disk filter on the pump.

Also check your MAF, my car does the same thing when i forget to plug my maf back in lol

#8 ·

[/QUOTE] Your are refering to ppl taking hard right turns and the clogged sock filter cavitating the pump cause the car to sputter and stall. i have never heard of anyone having this problem at a stand still.

Check your fuel pump fuse, the fuel shut off switch ect ect.

If nothing works you might be the freak case of the sock gettin sucked into the pump at a stnd still. Drop the tank clean the sock and disk filter on the pump.

Also check your MAF, my car does the same thing when i forget to plug my maf back in lol

[/QUOTE]

OH Hahahhaha...Well I feel salty...my bad...

#9 ·

Thanks for the responses from everyone. The dealer replaced the fuel pump for the second time. First time was six months ago when I but the car. Hopefully this will not be a every six month trouble but oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.