Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had someone replace my clutch and flywheel, so he gets the whole job done, he turns over the car and no cranking.. All the power works, the battery is good, everything works but it wont crank over. He checks the starter and thinks maybe we can push start it and see if there is the problem we can even push start it. The thing is in and my car is dead....

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated, and if someone in the mich area knows whats going on, ill pay your price for you to check it out.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
fluid pressure in the clutch line? if the clutch isnt engaging/disengaging, the starter wont be able to turn the flywheel.

oh wait, I know. you forgot to plug the crank sensor back in. Its located on the front of the block, behind the flywheel. no spark without a crank signal.

If the starter is not cranking at all, check your engine ground to be sure the starter has a good ground. (grounded thru contact with the block) also look for a grey wire coupling located near the coil pack. its just a single wire connector. If its not connected together, no start.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill have to try that

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
well, you have to break it down. Is the starter turning? The fact that you cant push start it tells me that its a spark or fuel problem. use a fuel pressure gauge to check for fuel pressure. you get about 10psi at key on engine off. you should see ~45psi during cranking and operation.

get a tester for the spark. You can get a tool at autozone that connects to the plug wire where the plug would be. you turn the thumbscrew to set the gap and attatch the ground. if you have spark, you'll see it when the assistant tries to start the car.

My money says you arent getting spark. The crank sensor is disconnected/loose or else the mounting plate or sesor was damaged during the clutch install.

tell your friend not to worry about it. I spent last X-mas and new years doing a motor swap for a friend only to have it not start when we finished.
took another day of work to get it going. (dead battery combined with a bad engine ground.)

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
MY BAD, I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!

the new flywheel is on wrong.

the timing marks arent right so the engine wont start.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Re: MY BAD, I KNOW WHAT IT IS!!

Or the crank trigger has been bonked...

I didn't know it was possible to install a flywheel out of time; the bolt holes usually only allow one orientation...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

tried all the grounds, nothing has worked. Could it have ANYTHING to do with pats security?

Should i just take it to the dealer and let them deal with it? Ive checked so many plugs for the last 3 hours....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

the new flywheel is on wrong.

the timing marks arent right so the engine wont start.
How the fock is it on wrong? Are you just trying to scare me or being serious

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

Like I said in the linked post, its possible to align the flywheel wrong. I dont have the book in front of me but someone can chime in if I dont get back to it first: set the engine to TDC and verify that the timing marks on the back of the flywheel are in the right spot. I think the missing tooth should be at the sensor at this point. doublecheck the manual or shop cd though.

sorry, Im pretty sure its this or a fragged crank sensor. either way, you have to remove the flywheel to fix it. I dont think its PATS becuase y'all didnt do anything to mess with that. besides, you can watch the PATS light to check that. If you have full power to everything but cant even push start it, its because the ECU isnt allowing it. This would be from conflicting sensor info (crank dosent match cam) or no signal from a sensor. (crank controls spark, cam controls fuel injectors)

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

is there ANY way to reset this timing feature at the dealership or something?
if the marks are lined up wrong then the sensor is saying your engine is in a different position than it really is. the spark is firing at the wrong time (if the ECU is even allowing it) and there is nothing that can be done to change that except getting the timing marks right.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts

the is no possible way to put a focus flywheel on wrong. the 6 bolt holes will only line up one way. I dont think its the sensors at all, the starter will not even "click"

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts

he said it was cranking, if its not cranking then yeah, you're right.

and it is possible to align it wrong, Ive done it.

measure the resistance from vbatt- to the engine lift point. (should be less than 100 ohms)

verify operation of the clutch switch

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I know you said you checked all your harnesses, but that's still my #1 suspect. It's easy to miss something when you put it all back together.

When I first tried to crank the engine after re-installing my clutch, I got nothing. No cranking, and the dash LCD showed "----". I freaked for about 30 seconds but soon realized that there was this one stupid little wire that I hadn't re-attached. It was a wimpy little black/orange wire that connects directly to the battery's negative terminal, and I overlooked it when I re-installed the battery (this wire is puny - maybe 20 gauge).

As was mentioned above, the crank position sensor is crucial. AFAIK, the engine won't even crank if the PCM doesn't get a signal from the CPS. If the sensor was damaged during the clutch/flywheel work, it might be possible to just replace it. It all depends on whether or not any "shrapnel" went into the bellhousing.

Are you getting any DTC's? A bad CPS should throw a code.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I first tried to crank the engine after re-installing my clutch, I got nothing. No cranking, and the dash LCD showed "----".
that is exactly what mine is doing, but the wire you speak of it currently plugged in. When we tested the starter last night we found out the solenoid isnt giving any power from the battery to the starter?But the ground is there...?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts