Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 ZX3 with the 2.3L and 5 speed. Im looking for a CARB legal turbo kit. Does anyone know of one??? Hit me up with any info at all you can provide. Any info on ANY turbo kit(s) for my engine will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
None yet, nor any type of "tuned" or off the shelf FI.
As for FI, there is the JRSC and Powerworks superchargers. I believe the FS/VF 'charger kit is going to be carb legal, and volant is carb legal I believe. No turbos.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The question was for the 2.3, there are no kits out yet for the 2.3

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
What exactly males it "CARB Legal" just the number?

If does away with the Cat, wouldn't that make it non-CARB legal? Just wondering.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
What exactly males it "CARB Legal" just the number?

If does away with the Cat, wouldn't that make it non-CARB legal? Just wondering.
If it does away with the cat it makes it federally illegal. But thats neither here nor there.

CARB certification basically means that the equipment meets CARB Standards for emissions control. A system in which air onlyh comes in the intake, and only out the tail pipe.

(that is a very basic synopsis of how it works)

·
Registered
545 Posts
there's a roughly 10 day test based on the federal test procedure by the EPA. basically, the setup cannot reduce the efficiency of the car's emissions systems in almost any way. this is why there will be no carb legal turbo setup.

a supercharger just puts more air into the combustion chamber. it basically works like increasing the displacement of the engine. a turbo on the other hand, heats up the intake charge as it compresses it and increases NOx emissions. therfore it reduces the efficiency and will not pass. even with an intercooler, the temp of the charge has still gained a substantial amount.

·
Registered
742 Posts
there's a roughly 10 day test based on the federal test procedure by the EPA. basically, the setup cannot reduce the efficiency of the car's emissions systems in almost any way. this is why there will be no carb legal turbo setup.

a supercharger just puts more air into the combustion chamber. it basically works like increasing the displacement of the engine. a turbo on the other hand, heats up the intake charge as it compresses it and increases NOx emissions. therfore it reduces the efficiency and will not pass. even with an intercooler, the temp of the charge has still gained a substantial amount.
Just because the exhaust is hotter doesn't mean it will mess up the emissions. the roush kit keeps the cat in place and they are working on CARB cert for it right now so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Usually the hotter the exhaust the cleaner, due to more complete burn.

EDIT: thats up to a certain point, had a brain fart.

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's not about temperature because any type of FI will increase that, but a supercharger is pushing all of the charge into the engine and then it is processed through the exhaust & cat. A turbo uses a blow-off valve which will mess with reading levels during a test for pollution. If you ever have watched an inspection station test your emissions, they not only put a sensor at the end of your exhaust pipe, but use another one along with a fan in front of the car to see if there are any "leaks" (intentional or not) venting other gases to the atmosphere. I may be a bit basic in my description but you get the idea - the fan pushes the unprocessed emissions to the rear of the car so they can get a reading on those as well as what is coming out your tailpipe. I'm sure there are other reasons also.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
A turbo uses a blow-off valve which will mess with reading levels during a test for pollution.
Thats not quite true, if you do a suck through MAF and put the BOV between it and the throttle body then Yes it can throw off emmisions because you're venting air that has already been metered and the ECU is adjusting your fuel trim for it.

If you go with a Blow through MAF (which is how it was intended to be used anyways) and put the BOV before it then your just going to vent unmetered air which shouldn't have any effect on your emmisions.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Not even a recirculating valve? If not you NEED some way to relieve the pressure out of the intake system when the TB is closed.

·
Registered
545 Posts

Just because the exhaust is hotter doesn't mean it will mess up the emissions. the roush kit keeps the cat in place and they are working on CARB cert for it right now so we'll see how that goes.
dude...I'm a smog tech...trust me it does. NOx is part of the test and NOx goes up any time combustion chamber temp rises. Hotter intake charge will raise combustion chamber temp and NOx.

just because all the emissions equipment is in place doesn't mean it'll pass. it has to pass the entire procedure.

and i do apologize...I looked it up and yes, some have passed the test. though I am confused because I've seen how an aftermarket turbo car works on a dyno smog test with mild boost and NOx jumps every time. according to what we're taught in the smog classes...that should fail it there.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
IIRC, Roush is working on the CARB certification.
Anyone wanna bet me they never achieve CARB cert for the turbo?

I absolutely disagree with the above statement. You are making assumptions based on your knowledge of smog tests but not based on knowledge of turbo systems. My intake air temps are about 5-10 degrees above ambient. How is that less efficient than a supercharger? Turbo's and superchargers have efficiency ranges. These efficiency ranges are what determines how much the air is heated up over ambient. Intercoolers have efficiency ranges. These ranges determine how much the temp drop is from inlet to outlet. If all these are working as they should, inlet temps will be just fine.

As I said, my inlet temps on a 75 degree day at about 10-14 PSI hung around 85 degrees. The jackson racing supercharger which cannot be cooled is seeing inlet temps well into the 100's and yet it has CARB certification.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
smog tests are so ridiculous. what does NOx have to do with what goes into the atmosphere?
http://www.epa.gov/air/urbanair/nox/

There is a reason. What I don't understand is that I can legally drive my blazer (which has a smogless 388 stroker motor) but I cannot put certain intakes on my 2 liter four cylinder. I probably put ten times as much deadly fumes into the atmosphere with my truck than my car ever could. I understand why smog tests exhist, but I don't understand many of the bogus CARB laws.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts