Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
LET'S GO RIDE BIKES
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard on NPR that Ford has announced Carol Shelby will be returning to help build cars. I figure a new Shelby Mustang would be in the works but could a Shelby Focus be next?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
i'd be surprised at that...man doesnt need it. he has to take care of his health more than anythin. the man has lived 13yrs almost w/a heart transplant. think he's had another organ transplant operation as well.

idk bout that 1, but if he decided to tweak a focus...that be cool. dumpin a big lump in the focus for example...hmm somehow the words 'ac bristol' come to mind.

-Ult

·
Registered
744 Posts
i thought he has been back at ford for awhile..??
i swore i read somewhere that he is helping out w/the gt40 program....

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
There was a posting on BON about the same thing. All I have to say is I would give up a left nut for next Gen Shebly GT350 off the new Mustang. I LOVE the 66 GT350 Mustang...even though its somewhat of slug in the 1/4 (14-15 secondish)

·
Registered
744 Posts
There was a posting on BON about the same thing. All I have to say is I would give up a left nut for next Gen Shebly GT350 off the new Mustang. I LOVE the 66 GT350 Mustang...even though its somewhat of slug in the 1/4 (14-15 secondish)

word the 350 kr's
.....hmmm, cant wait to see the next cobra or even the next cobra r....

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
i'd be surprised at that...man doesnt need it. he has to take care of his health more than anythin. the man has lived 13yrs almost w/a heart transplant. think he's had another organ transplant operation as well.
He's going to die building cars.. I think he loves it too much to give it up. I honestly think it is more important to him than his health.

That man is badass.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
word the 350 kr's
.....hmmm, cant wait to see the next cobra or even the next cobra r....
I'm confused about your reference...???
There was a GT-350, a GT-500, and the GT-500KR.
(Along w/ the GT-350H, GT-350R and GT-350S, all of which were in '66)...
I've never heard of a 350KR....????

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
any man who can build a car like this

deserves to live forever!!!!!!
Too bad it used an olds engine in it....I dont remember ever seening any press on this car....

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
3.4L v6 isn't exactly a performance lump in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Should have at least used a turbocharged grand national motor

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
yea well i really dont care about the engine! the styling of it is amazing! and i am almost positive it uses a 4 liter engine? 320hp, 280 lb. ft. if im not mistaken. 2600 pounds or so. good for mid 12's in the 1/4! sounds good enough for me

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
3.4L v6 isn't exactly a performance lump in my opinion.

I thought it has a 4.0L Olds Aurora V8. 320HP, or 5xx w/supercharger.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I don;t really know whyb they used that engine
I heard some bad stuff about that engine

·
Registered
243 Posts
Why not a Shelby Focus??? Anyone remember the Omni GLHS??? Besides they need something to compete with SRT4, Lancer EVO and STI. I think the Focus would make a great Shelby convert the suspention is already there all it needs is about 250HP and WOW!!!!!!! But alais it probably will be a Shelby Stang.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since the retro look is back! Imagine, 427, packed into a new 65 Shelby retro Roadster Cobra!
Well not really a 427, but the current Cobra engine, blown of course. With a smaller lighter 2 seater!
. I wouldn't afford it for sure, but just thinking about!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I guess you guys didn't get this blurb from the Detroit Free Press -

August 16, 2003

BY MARK PHELAN
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

The prodigal son has returned. After a 33-year absence, motor racing icon Carroll Shelby has rejoined to Ford Motor Co. to help the automaker add some zest to its model line.

Shelby, 80, will help Ford develop high-performance models, much as he did in the 1960s, when he created the legendary Ford-powered Shelby Cobra and worked on the GT40 race cars that dominated the famous 24-hour Le Mans race in France.

While Shelby made his name building cars with big '60s-era V8s, he said he's most interested in the compact tuner scene today. Compact tuners -- mostly young people with their first or second car -- go to great lengths to improve the performance and personalize the appearance of mostly Japanese cars.

"There's a lot of fun to be had building those little pocket rockets," he said in an interview from California, where he eagerly watches tuner meets on weekends. "I want to build performance cars that fit in the environment and that young people can afford, not 800-horsepower, $200,000 super cars."

Ford produced several Shelby Mustang models from 1965 to 1969. Powered by large V8 engines and featuring air scoops on the hood and bodywork, they helped create a performance aura that raised the profile of all Ford cars.

Ford hopes to regain that magic with a range of Shelby vehicles based on its current and upcoming products.

"We're noodling around a lot of ideas," said Chris Theodore, Ford vice president for advanced product creation. "We're considering both our current and future products." The cars will offer higher performance, better handling and unique styling touches than the production Fords on which they're based.

The all-new 2005 Mustang will probably be among the first Fords to get the Shelby treatment, and Theodore would not rule out a Shelby version of the Ford 500, a full-size sedan that goes on sale late in 2004.

Shelby's ties to the company go well beyond marketing, but Edsel B. Ford II, now a member of Ford's board of directors, lived in Shelby's California home for six months in the mid-1960s during an internship with Shelby's company.

"I had him washing parts," Shelby said. "His father (Henry Ford II) wanted him to learn the business wasn't all glamour."

The chief engineer of the new Ford GT worked for Shelby in the 1980s.

Ford used Shelby as a consultant on the new GT, but there's no Shelby model of that two-seater in the works, Theodore said.

"Beyond that, though, we haven't ruled anything out," Theodore said. "We're going to focus on the Ford brand. There's plenty to do there."

Shelby ended his racing relationship with Ford in 1970. In the years since, he developed performance cars with Chrysler Corp. and sued Ford of its continuing use of the Cobra name. That suit was settled amicably on both sides some years ago, a Ford spokesman said.

I'd say a Shelby Focus us a gimme. I'd say you'll see another affordable Shelby product also and of course a Shelby Mustang.

Because C. Shelby owns his company, he not handcuffed by the bean counters at Ford. He'll prolly work with SVT and Cosworth on a bunch of projects. He didn't have this kinda of access or help when he started in the mid 60's. He pretty much WAS Ford's racing program in those days.

When he did Chrysler cars Icocca left him alone for the most part. Shelby wanted to work with a chassis, they sent him some copies and off he went.

He'll pull the trigger on stuff we really want. Like a turbocharged AWD Focus....

Shelby's cars also handle, so you'll be able to autocross it and open track it very effectively.

This is pretty cool if you ask me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts