Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? The dealer tells me that my passenger side carrier bearing (Where the axel goes into the trans) is going bad. They want $350 for parts and labor. If anyone has done this I'd like to know how hard it was and if you needed any special tools.

Dan

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
It actually isn't where the axle goes into the trans, but rather the support bracket that bolts to the back of the block to support the intermediate shaft.

The bearing itself isn't pressed in, thankfully.. If you remove the bearing half (two bolts) and remove the axle from the hub, you can pull entire intermediate shaft/half shaft as one unit.

Have I done this personally? No... But I've looked into it. My first bearing went at 25k, and it is now gone again at 45k... I suspect that the bearing interface with the axle has been damage such that the axle surface will just keep eating up bearings. I don't know if this will be the case with your car or not.

If you are experienced working with cars, then it shouldn't be that difficult to do. I've R&Red axles many times from cars in a few hours.. but not a Focus.

Do be aware that when you pull the axle, your transaxle will dump all the fluid out the side, and you'll have to refill it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I looked for a replacement bearing a while ago, and is was not listed - the only way to get it was to buy the whole shaft assy..

If you manage to get a P#, please post it!

The job doesn't look difficult either - but I too have not done this yet..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts