Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's to everyone on this beautiful day. MY question is simple. Does anyone have the high flow cat? And has anyone had any major trouble with it? As I am considering it as my next buy for my zx3.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also thinking about buying one, so I second the request for any feedback anyone has.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i have one, i put it on at the same time as a shorty header. i have been happy with it. i never got a cel like an off road pipe so it seems like the cat was doing its job. if you need a cat and want a little more performance, it works fine. the cat may make the car a little louder, but its nothing compared to off road pipe or race header.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My experience mirrors Newt's. I installed an FC cat at the same time as my header, and never got a CEL or anything. It did make the exhaust a fair amount louder, but louder is very much subjective, and also dependent on your exhaust setup. Bear in mind that it may not pass a visual inspection, and that it isn't going to equal a RH or ORP in performance, and you'll probably be fine with one.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I passed emissions in VA with one fine. I have since taken mine off though because it was too loud with a shorty header, Hi flow cat, Bosal Flex, and Magnaflow. Even after installing an extra resonator.

I am considering it again though.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I passed emissions in VA with one fine. I have since taken mine off though because it was too loud with a shorty header, Hi flow cat, Bosal Flex, and Magnaflow. Even after installing an extra resonator.

I have been thinking of doing a simular setup to what you did, here in MN we don't have emissions testing yet, but, I want to leave my cat(or a high flow) on it so if the cops pull me over they can't say much.

Do you have a clip of how it sounded? I don't want to be too loud or have it sound like poo...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The hi-flow cat, in comparison to the factory setup is louder. In my case (may not apply to all) the exhaust was initially considerably louder but mellowed over time (I assume that it was the result of the metal changing characteristics as it heated and cooled a few times). The power increase was noticeable, if not dramatic. Made more power than just the shorty, I'll tell you that.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts

I have been thinking of doing a simular setup to what you did, here in MN we don't have emissions testing yet, but, I want to leave my cat(or a high flow) on it so if the cops pull me over they can't say much.

Do you have a clip of how it sounded? I don't want to be too loud or have it sound like poo...
Sorry. No clip but here is the deal. At the time Performance was an idea for me but a Sound Quality Stereo Set-up was the main Focus, pun intended. I got rid of the Header and Cat because of it interfering with the stereo part of the equation.

I liked the sound. I will emphatically suggest an additional resonator though. It helps to quiet it down. I got a resonator from www.justmagnaflow.com, This is the one I got: http://www.justmagnaflow.com/UniversalMufflers/4RoundStainless_ss4roundcc14.jpg

I would suggest a Magna pack though. It will quiet it down a lot.

As for gains, I would have noticed more with a chip and tune. My car was running rather rich.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It was loud enough that it interfeared with the radio?

see, thats another thing, I want to have it quiet enough in the cabin where I can have my clear music w/o loud rumbly exhaust. I am thinking I may have to get some sound deadener for the floor, that should help quite a bit. I have plans to do up my doors and around speakers. Right now it is completly stock. but I want something to provide me with more power.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
In the cabin of my car now, with only a maganflow catback and a flexpipe with stock Cat and exhaust mani, it is loud enough to notice.

You have to remember that the focus is a compact car. An econobox. Everything is loud.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
In the cabin of my car now, with only a maganflow catback and a flexpipe with stock Cat and exhaust mani, it is loud enough to notice.

You have to remember that the focus is a compact car. An econobox. Everything is loud.
Including the stereo

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Well, not mine as much anymore but it was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts