Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah

stock cat or high flow cat?

advantages and disadvantages please. I just ordered my catback but im thinking about a highflo

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
You can replace the second catalytic converter with a high-flow, if you want. It won't give you much of a benefit until you're already making a lot of power, though.

Pros:
-better exhaust flow for a benefit at high power levels

Cons:
-louder exhaust
-won't pass emissions in some states
-might lose torque on a near-stock vehicle

·
EAT MORE CORN DAMNIT!!!!
3,070 Posts
"Cats.....Cats.....We don't need no stinkin Cats...."

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 05' ST. I deleted the 2nd cat when I installed maglow flow catback 2 months ago.
The sound of my car is much louder than before, but
I'm not really sure if I gain some power from that.
Could someone tell me the truth? Thanks!

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
You removed the second cat with a "cat-back" exhaust?

I'm not sure anyone has really dynoed a car with and without the cat with the same exhaust.

·
8,054 Posts
I'd like to disagree with that, but until there is dynoed evidence, I can't say a whole lot. Maybe a couple hp with removing the second cat. But not a lot.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
No, I think he is probably saying that with the first cat still in place you won't see a ton of gain in removing the second one.

>8^)
ER

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
I don't think anyone is stating there would be no measureable benefits from removing it - just not as much as some might think. Like mievil says - till we have a dyno before and after, we'll never be certain.

>8^)
ER

·
8,054 Posts
Wow, you actually got my back. I'm getting all squishy. Apparently, there seems to be a confusion as to my statement. I am talking about the exact same aftermarket exhuast, with a removable middle section. You dyno with the 2nd cat in place, and without the second cat in place. Then we see what exactly the gains or restrictions are. Yes, it is obviously a restriction, but as Peloton stated, there's really no huge benefit removing 1 unless you are going to be removing both. A fellow Jetter and I both ran at the FS Dyno Day. We both had the FS Sport exhaust. I have mine modified to maintain the second cat, he was using the FS resonator. I actually pulled a few more horsepower than he did. So apparently the 2nd cat isn't as restrictive as some might think. Now considering the build consistency with Ford, exact hp numbers don't mean much, so lets just say that we were about even. So I'll tell you what, for sake of argument, lets start a fund. I'll pay for the gas up there and back, and we'll dyno my car at FS, with there resonator in place on one run, and the second cat in place on the next. That will give us our numbers. Who wants to contribute?

·
8,054 Posts
I'll give you five dollars.

That should buy enough gas to get from your house to the freeway, right?

>8^)
ER
At the rate the gas keeps going up, it may be just enough to get out of my driveway.
And sorry Yellow, if anyone is gonna scam this place it's going to be me........Oh crap, did I say that out loud.

Actually, I'm serious, I'd like to get that dyno done. I't be beneficial to a few different people including myself. Too damn bad dyno runs cost so damn much.

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
Well, let's see here...

The 2 inch collector on the manicat limits flyweel HP to around 160-165 approximately.

The OE flex portion (removeable on some Duratec fitments), though it has a 2 inch in/out, is actually quite a bit smaller in inside diameter than that.

Then the second cat, with it's 2 inch in/out has to be a bunch more restrictive that a 2.25 inch perforated core muffler (such as the one found on the FS Stealth system)...

So I'd say, based in prior speculation, that deleting the second cat AND improving the diameter of the flex portion should yield at least a 2-3 HP gain if the intake is freed up a bit with the addition of a CAI...

·
8,054 Posts
Well, then the statement overall would still be as we have been touting since they became available. The best power maker for our cars is the CAI, not removal of any of the emissions gear. 2-3 hp (in theory) is not quite a huge step in my mind. Goes right along with pulling out the HC trap for ~3hp. Oh wait, I still have that in as well.

And just so we don't open up another jumbo can of worms. Obviously, the more mods you do, the more you are going to want that 2nd cat out of there (as in a racing setup), but my statements are based on a very lightly modded daily driver. So don't someone come along and start talking about if there was FI, or cams, or any of that junk.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts