Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know anyone who could just "let me use" a lift or anything, and I'm not sure what would be the best way to lift it up so I can put it on. Any suggestions? Should I use jack stands? My owner's manual doesn't give a place to put jackstands.... at least I can't find it anyway. What should I do?

[ 11-17-2002, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: mick_9 ]

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You will need, at the least, a small floor jack, set of jackstands and don't forget eye protection! Each of these items is a good investment for any Focus owner, if you don't have them already. When placing the jackstands, be sure not to put them under bodywork. In the front there is a subframe to use and in the rear I use the small frame piece that the rear suspension connects to-kind of hard to get two jackstands in there but it does work. The stock exhaust is a one, piece unit so be prepared to cut it into a few pieces to get it out. a sawzall is the perfect tool to do this. When assembling the new system, loosely attach clamps and/or connectors at first-don't tighten them fully until you have every piece in place. Then tighten everything, making sure that there isn't any binding or interference. Good Luck!

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
One cut, just in front of the rear crossmember will allow the removal of the stock system.
It was a pain, but my Dad and I actually installed my Bosal in the yard w/ only the front on ramps, w/ no jacks or stands.

Having all 4 corners up is DEFINITELY easier.
You can place jackstands on any of the firm rails/crossmembers of the suspension. Don't use the Control arms, swaybars, or floorpan.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I can't say where to put jack stands exactly, but if you need a good how-to, take a look here: http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/cat-back.htm

With the car up on a ramp, me and one other guy did the cat-back in under a half hour. The hardest part is the bolts at the flexpipe, heat them up if you can, otherwise hit them really well with some sort of lubricant. Second hardest part is the cutting of the rear section, since the stock exhaust is all one piece, pipe cutter is the best/easiest method, but a hacksaw, sawsall or some other electric saw will also work. Just be careful...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts