Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that my catch can doesn't stop all the oil from passing through and some, albeit not too much, passes through to the berather filter and gets the area around it oily. I was wondering if any of you were stuffing anything inside the catch can to prevent this from happening? I was thinking maybe a sponge, think i heard someone putting a wire brush inside cause it could stang high temps.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's nowhere near full, i'd say 10% at most. i can see how this would happen, i mean the oil particles are dispersed in the gases coming out of the pcv valve, it's not a big suprise some of the oil does not condense fast enough and make it out of the catch can. I'm just trying to keep it from happening as much as i can.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I have a Greddy can.... no internal baffles or means of diverting the direction of the mist. Just like about 3/4 of the automotive aftermarket, they can't even design a #&$%ing simple catch can properly.

Personally on the next can I install I will either build myself from scratch (most likely), or take a new one and cut the top off before I ever use it and install a partial vertical divider between the inlet and outlet... among other things.

Ah, more stuff for the summer list.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Rod, while you're at it, make me one too

Seriously though, nobody is stuffing anything inside the catch cans to help this?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Hey Rod, while you're at it, make me one too

Seriously though, nobody is stuffing anything inside the catch cans to help this?
stuff a tampon in there, that'll do the trick

Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that just might work, god knows those things are indestructable.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You have a tampon from jmbperformance? That must be one hell of a tampon.

Edit: On a serious note, didn't somebody post about a nice, functional catch can just a few months ago? I think it was Gigahertz, with a thread titled, "check out these catch cans", but I'm too tired to search. IIRC it had some SS wire mesh packed inside it, but I'm not sure.

LOL, it's bedtime for Dudley.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and hollow at that!!!

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
http://www.bescaredracing.com/sti/catchcans/preinstall/

here are some pics of the amw catch can... I think it almost has to much stuffing packed in there, I was thinking of pulling some out. Only thing I'm concerned about is the can is a bit small and so are the fittings to it. Haven't put mine to use yet but a bunch of people bought it so maybe someone will chime in.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I find that my catch can doesn't stop all the oil from passing through and some, albeit not too much, passes through to the berather filter and gets the area around it oily. I was wondering if any of you were stuffing anything inside the catch can to prevent this from happening? I was thinking maybe a sponge, think i heard someone putting a wire brush inside cause it could stang high temps.
May be a dumb question, but with the 'oil spraying thread, it got me wondering if you have your PCV valve-to-intake manifold connection plugged?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea, the pcv valve now goes to the catch can and from there to atmos. The the intake mani connection to pcv is plugged.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Yea, the pcv valve now goes to the catch can and from there to atmos. The the intake mani connection to pcv is plugged.
Hmmmmm....So you have the catch can on the PCV valve side of the system and that's where you're getting measurable oil?

From the 'spray everywhere' thread:
For the record, I have my system hooded up as such:
--Aerocharger stage III at around 10psi
--Crankcase breather routed to ground with cheap APC breather filter
--PCV valve-to-mailfold connection plugged as described above (bolt and hose clamp method).
--PVC valve connedted with a hose to a home made catch can (camping fuel bottle).
--PCV valve catch can routed to air box to try and pull a vacuum.

I get very little, if any oil in my catch can and I get zero oil in the air box. All I seem to get in the catch can is some water condensation. No more than a few ounces every 10k miles or so. BUT, I do still get a slight bit of oil on the crankcase breather filter. After a 20-30 minute track session, the filter will be slightly wet and may even drip a few drops of oil. I'm working on a second catch can for the breather filter.

Edit: Only thing I'll add is that my home made catch can uses an old fashioned breather filter on top of it stuffed with some type of gauze. Also, to keep it truly ghetto, I used a piece of a beer can as a deflector inside where the side inlet is.
Pic for reference:

(Above design copied from Bri)

Now, I know you're all jealous that I built that for probably less than $20 and it works perfectly.

But it is a step up from the Mobil 1 catch can that I ran for almost a year.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I posted a picture of my setup somewhere on here a few weeks back...I have both the pcv valve and the valve cover going into the same catch can by means of a T hose connection and a breather hose on the other side of the catch can. this way, both ends of the system are open to atmos through a filter.

and no, i don't really get considerable oil collecting in the catch can - i may be at 10% full after 6 weeks of pretty hard driving, but at high rpm runs or just driving on the highway at rather high speeds, the breather filter will get moist and drip oil.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmm, just thought of an ultimate way to do this. put the breather filter in a catch can!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts