Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has or does anyone run with a header,catback and no cat, if so how loud is it? i know this is hard to explain but I just want to know if im gonna attract too much attention, i have no smog tests here. also does anyone know if the obx long tube header (4-1 i think) and the catback leaves a large space between them? or just enough for the flexpipe

·
Registered
326 Posts
head and no cat = loud......I had open headers on my 5.0 for a while and that was the loudest thing I've ever heard on the street ;P

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I run a 4-2-1 race header, Bosal flexpipe, and Thermal R&D catback. It was pretty loud before I welded in another muffler/resonator. I put a Magnaflow 14615 inline with the Thermal's own resonator and muffler, and it quieted it down a lot.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It is going to be determined by which exhaust you have. Like buzzbomb said if it is to loud after you do it you can get a resonator welded in.

My apexi exhaust focussport race header and flex has a good mild sound without having to add a resonator.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
My apexi exhaust focussport race header and flex has a good mild sound without having to add a resonator.
Just to echo (echoechoechoecho
) what 3 Stripes said, the Apex'I World Sport and HKS Hiper exhausts, while rather pricey, are said to sound the best with a race header right out of the box with no other modifications.

·
Banned
613 Posts
ive got a svt header, fs flexpipe and 2.5" borla exhaust and i like the tone.. nice and deep... i had a fs 4-2-1, fs flex and bosal last year that was obnoxious though so it does come down to ur exhaust of choice

·
Registered
139 Posts
Catless with a flex-back will draw tons of attention to you from the law(I know from experience
) and you wont be able to hear your bumpin system very good.I would also recomend welding a resonator on that bad boy.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
It's funny that you say the Borla is less obnoxious than the Bosal...I remember when they both came out, the Borla was probably second-most annoying next to the Vibrant, while the Bosal was sought-after almost as much as the Apex'I WS and HKS Hiper.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My setup (FC Tri-Y, Bosal flex, Borla) sounds pretty good. It's horribly loud..like on the interstate it drones worse than anything I've ever been it..it's almost hard to keep a convo goin w/ the passengers...yeah, it's that loud. I personally wouldn't have it any other way, but I can see how some people wouldn't like it. Any setup w/o a cat is going to be loud. Maybe try the HKS, as it's the most restrictive 2.165 tubing..something of that nature..I don't think that's exact, but close.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I got around to recording a clip from behind my car at start up with some idle action but I don't have a host... it sounds kind of like:

prrrroummm... mmm... mmm. (maybe with a bit of scrotum mixed in).

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
i have the obx race header with fc flex and magnaflow cat back and its nearly deafening. i dont mind it. its not that much louder when cruising its only a little more noticable. but when you are getting on it its a whole lot of loud especially when there are things around to reflect the sound

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
someone should "sticky" a thread that says...IF YOUR EXHAUST IS TOO LOUD GET A RESONATOR...I think thats the #1 question asked here.

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Just to echo (echoechoechoecho
) what 3 Stripes said, the Apex'I World Sport and HKS Hiper exhausts, while rather pricey, are said to sound the best with a race header right out of the box with no other modifications.
Click the link in my sig...I had the HKS before, and while that sounded awesome, the Cosworth sounds much, MUCH better!

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have a race header and Straight open 2.25 inch pipe.. you guys don't know what loud is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts