Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got car back from a warrantied dealer fix on a leaky windshield cowl, and I had them run my CEL, which had been on, then off, then on again, but off for about week. They pulled the code: P0402. Anyone know what this means? Should I be worried about it?

·
Registered
375 Posts
if i'm reading the service information correctly about that code, it says this:

P0402 - EGR Flow Excessive Detected

Description:

The EGR system is monitored for undesired EGR flow during idle. The EGR monitor looks at the DPF EGR signal at idle and compares it to the stored signal measured during key ON and engine OFF. The test fails when the signal at idle is greater than at key ON engine OFF by a calibrated amount.

Possible Causes:
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">EGR valve stuck open</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Plugged EGR vacuum regulator solenoid vent</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Plugged EGR tube</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Slow responding D.P.F. EGR sensor</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Damaged DPF EGR sensor</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Improper vacuum hose connection</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Plugged vacuum hoses</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">EGRVR circuit shorted to ground</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Damaged EGR vacuum regulator solenoid</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Damaged PCM</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Diagnostic Aides:
A DPFEGR PID reading that is greater at idle than during key ON and engine OFF by 0.5 volt or a rough engine idle, may indicate a hard fault.

Not sure how to fix it. I'd start out by checking the vacuum lines running to the EGR and make sure everything looks connected correctly... Good luck!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
FYI, that is one of the "Usual" codes for the DPFE issue. Most people have had it fixed by replacing the DPFE.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got the same code and took it into ford and they replaced it in about 30 minutes. They didnt ask any questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts