Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had my BBK JRSC since May. no probs at all. until recently. i wasn't even driving hard. normal driving in a neighborhood. reset the computer, and the next day, it came back on. so i finally go to AutoZone and it's excessive EGR flow.

Do you guys think the EGR valve is stuck open? i don't feel too much difference but maybe it's a placebo, but thinkn i feel it a bit sluggish than before. even when it's cool out at night.

How should i go about finding the culprit? thanks for any info.

btw...
Questions about Check Engine Lights, bad idles, some unusual noise, clicking, and/or rattle... those go to Team Tech. Basically if you have a problem and it didn't come from working on or modifying your car... ask there!
it seems like both of those sentences could let this post go either to Team Tech or here at ZETEC tuning. so move it where you may. thanks

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DOH. ok...i'll get it in a few..thanks

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's the CODE.

P0402 EGR flow excessive.

any ideas on what could be wrong with the EGR?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump....

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
check all of the vacuum lines that go to the valve. also check all of the connection and make sure everything is tight, could just be loose and leaking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
verify c/c. koeo, koer, cmdtcs, p0402. time to perform pinpoint test, performed dcl display in stall and monitor pids on road test. dpfe reading 4.86v. time to replace dpfe sensor, reset kam, performed obd2 drive cycle, retest, ok.

see it all the time, and that's how I write it up for warranty. just replace the sensor.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
verify c/c. koeo, koer, cmdtcs, p0402. time to perform pinpoint test, performed dcl display in stall and monitor pids on road test. dpfe reading 4.86v. time to replace dpfe sensor, reset kam, performed obd2 drive cycle, retest, ok.

see it all the time, and that's how I write it up for warranty. just replace the sensor.
i have no idea what most of those terms mean.

thanks for the info though! Could you elaborate on the terms? thanks
dan

·
Registered
32 Posts
koeo=key on engine off self test
koer=key on engine running self test
cmdtc=continous memory diagnostic trubble code
also, did you get your dpfe sensor yet? usually condensation gets into the sensor and shorts it out, really nothing you can do about it. did you get it fixed yet?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my dpfe sensor went out after 6 months of getting the car new, and a week after i installed my first mod, the FS cool flo intake. I got it replaced under warrenty about 4 years ago.

the car flutters a bit during partial throttle to full at low RPM's... is that because of the Dpfe?

what does the dpfe have to do with the EGR valve?

all that stuff is new to me....

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm picking up a DPFE senosor tomrorow.....

this might sound weird, but where is it located? and would it be easy to replace it?

should i reset the computer when installing it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
the car flutters a bit during partial throttle to full at low RPM's... is that because of the Dpfe?
Possibly... depending on what you mean by "partial throttle to full". How fast are you going when it happens?

what does the dpfe have to do with the EGR valve?
The DPFE is what the PCM looks at to determine the flow status of the EGR system.

this might sound weird, but where is it located?
It should be mounted on the firewall near the brake fluid chamber. There was another mounting spot for earlier ones, which was underneath or near the bottom of the air inlet tube... IIRC.

and would it be easy to replace it?
Yes

should i reset the computer when installing it?
No need to reset the memory if your CEL isn't on.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
If the sensor is bad will it always throw a CEL?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, i just reset my computer, but at the same time, i plugged the little vaccuum hose that fits on the top of the "ufo" part of the EGR valve.... i figure maybe the valve is stuck open.... crank the engine, no engine light, yet.

i still get that hesitation at around 1500 to 2500 rpms.

i'll try to replace my dpfe tommorrow when i pick it up.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, i haven't replaced my d or tpfe valve...

i got a new one but just haven't installed it.

but i did reset the computer and disconnected the little vacuum hose that fits on top of the "ufo" piece of the EGR valve. I was told that when connected, the vacuum makes the spring loaded valve open, allowing exhaust to flo into the intake, correct?

and when the hose is taken off, the atomospheric pressure closes the valve? if that's the case, then 2 days ago to today, i should have gotten a CEL telling me that i'm getting no EGR flow. but today, i got a CEL saying the same thing....

P0402 EGR flow Excessive. That seems to tell me that my EGR valve is stuck open, meaning i'd need a new one?

dont' want to spend around $58 if i dont' need to, ya know.

thanks...

dan

·
Registered
32 Posts
if your egr valve is stuck open, it would run like crap or not at all which is mentioned above, also you can get your car warmed up, and touch the egr tube by the egr valve and if you can hold it for a couple of sec. then the valve is not stuck open. But if it is steaming hot, then your valve is open and allowing the exhaust gas to go into the intake. If it is "cold" so to speak, then the egr is working properly. The exhaust in the tube will be cooler cause there is not a constant flow through the tube. You need to drive your car a few miles, then check. Also the pcm doesn't read egr flow like a maf sensor reads intake air. It uses the dpfe to show how much egr flow there is in volts. You are getting the same code cause the voltage the dpfe sensor is giving the pcm is above normal (over .9-1.0v) at idle. Your reading is prolly anywhere between 2.0 and 4.95v which will cause the p0402. Just put the damn thing on an it will be fixed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts