Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cel has been on for about 2 weeks. Dealer says its the cat. I'm lookin into my options now. Am I safe waiting or do I have to get this taken care of asap?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info but money's not the issue (so to speak.) I just want to be sure I get the most for it.
I was gonna do a Random w/ Bosal flexpipe. But now I'm starting to dig what McNew's has got goin' w/ the SVT header.
I don't mind driving with the light on, I just don't wanna cause any harm or damage by waiting.
Thanks again. Any more info appretiated.

Matt

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
someone correct me if i'm wrong, but if $ is an issue (can't afford to get it fixed just yet) i'd just invest in a CEL eliminator for the 2nd O2 sensor. that will fool your car into thinking the cat is working properly (therefore no wierd fuel issues or cel.) i mean it works for race headers and orp, why wouldn't it work with this?

i'd call the guys at www.mcnewsautomotive.com they sell the cel elminator for like $35.

just a thought.

Nate

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
If it's the o2 issue caused by the cat, just unplug your battery, stand on the brake pedal for 30 seconds, then replug it in. Some have gone a month without the light returning, some have only gone a week. Mine takes about 2 weeks. I have the o2 cheater, does not work on my car, still get the light. It's not too big of a deal to reset the light once a week or so. Just my 2 cents. Later doods

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mean to bee a pain in the a**, and maybe I didn't phrase my question properly, but can anyone tell my if I am causing any harm to my car by driving with the cel on due to a bad cat.
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
729 Posts
no theres no harm. the light basicly lets you know something is wrong, if you know for a fact its just the o2 sensor, then dont worry about it. Do what you can to have it turned off incase something really happens and the light is to come on for another reason

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANK YOU! The dealer told me I had a bad kitty. Is that different than having the o2 sensor trip the cel or does the bad cat cause the o2 sensor to trip it. If I replace the cat should I also replace o2 sensor?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts