Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went away for about a month and forgot to cover up car and when i came back my hood was all dirty and looked extra faded.i washed it and it looked alot better because i waxed aswell but it still looks faded,on some spots,has this happened to anymone or any suggestions?

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
it happened to mine too, I tried using cleaner wax, then nano wax on top of that and it didnt fix it, Im thinking about getting it buffed out, I dunno. I have a VIS and its Junk anyway.

·
[dd] - Dentless Dave
8,742 Posts
Ya, I'd go for the buffing.

Use some heavy compound on it because the cloudyness might be from the epoxy or clear being etched and oxidized.

dentless dave!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
buffer hehe. u can get heavy compound at a local auto paint shop, or get rubbing compound from wal-mart.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Paint it?

Might help stop the degredation of the hood from UV and moisture.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its not a VIS cuz some collision place,replaced it with a carbon fiber instead of the fiberglass,and it doesnt say VIS,that was kool but its fading fast.anymore help?

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts
I have a VIS and I'm guessing what it is doing would be fading. I'll take a pic later on and post it. It looks like someone took sandpaper to the hood....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea man i dont know if i hafto repaint it or do i just buff the crap out of it.anympore suggestions?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I have a VIS and I'm guessing what it is doing would be fading. I'll take a pic later on and post it. It looks like someone took sandpaper to the hood....
I did some brief research before I made my initial post in this thread. It appears that some of the types of epoxy used to make carbon fiber are not very UV resistant and will degrade over time. My guess would be that that's what's happening here. Perhaps a good UV resistant clear coat was not used? I also read that there are allot of poor finishing techniques used which could lead to premature degradation and or cracking of the surface.

The key would be to find out if its only at the surface or if it goes deeper into the material. I'd hate to see you guys buff all day long simply to expose more crappy degraded material.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i read from some other website that there is this substance that the dealerships use to take out small scratches and ive heard from a freind that works at pretty good body shop and he told me that they use the same thing.the wax is called (3M)and they have three difrrent kinds.they have just the cleaner wax,heavy oxidation and protective liqiud wax.their pretty much more expensive than mothers and meguires but they work amazingly.its like 12-15 bucks for the 16.oz.A freind of my got his white integra buffed out and wax with the same 3M wax and maaan that car came out clean!!!!!u can find it at wal-mart,kragen,pep-boys or whatever auto service thats pretty known butif that helps u out let me know im gonna post pics of my hood from b4 and after the wax ,im gonna go and pick it up tomm.so ill let u guys know.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
integra type s

5188 posts [100%]
triLLviLLe
2-8-2002
« Re: (cruzersi00) « » 12:38 PM 6/18/2004 Reply Edit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote, originally posted by cruzersi00 »
Before:

After:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my bad try to post a friends b4 and after pics,but didnt come throught.sorry

·
9,786 Posts
bringing this back to include the pics of my hood. Anyone have any ideas? My guess might be buffer burns....

·
Registered
446 Posts
ouch! I thought that was some clouds in the first pic. It does look like either buffer burns or some sandpaper scraping. What do you use to buff it?

·
Resident Wheel-Whore
10,594 Posts
Dang. That does look bad.

I'm about to buy a new CF hood. The guy bought them, from somewhere, but they were painted white on the outside. Does anybody know if I could sand the paint off and clear coat it?
I'm thinking that might lead to more problems, the same you guys are having, so I'll prob just shoot it in Twilight Blue and throw it on.

·
9,786 Posts
Yeah, it looks horrible. I think if I can't get it to go away resonably. Its time to turn mad scientist on it....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts