Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any real knowledge about benefits of the CGI block over the stock zetec block? We know it's stronger (about 70% stronger) but is it lighter? Does it offer other benefits that the stock block doesnt' give?

I am just curious to know if this block offers anything other than strength. I have an SVT so I have oil squirters, so that's a non issue as well.

thanks!

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
From FS.com

Cosworth CGI Engine Block
Genuine Cosworth CGI (Carbon Graphite Impregnated) cast iron engine block as fitted to the Focus Cosworth WRC cars. These are brand new, finished & machined and are currently at 84.5mm bore size (honed).

This CGI block has a 7.30mm wall thickness and could easily be bored out to take 87.5mm pistons or bigger! Perfect for Turbo or Supercharged engines, this block will hold over 30 psi.

The block comes with main caps and bolts fitted, but none of the core plugs/bungs etc. Oil squirter provisions are integrated, so you'll either need the jets if you want to use them or plugs if you don't intend to use them.
I think the main reason to use it is for boring it out to use bigger pistons. atleast you won't have to worry about wall thickness becoming an issue then.

the oil squirters are a bonus too but the SVT block has them as well.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... so it comes with the stock bore size but we could take it out to 87.5 effectively giving us a bit more displacement.

Interesting, so I guess the question is, what is the cost of oversized pistons and how hard are they to find.

I guess that's a cool benefit.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
bela i herd its only 20% stronger but look how much power u can make on a zx3 block no squirters the HKS car still has stock main caps just use your block and get some good main caps thats the weakest point

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea that stock block seems to have all I need, but at the same time while I'm in there, I might want to go overbore. I'd love to be able to do more with less (increasing displacement = more power less boost). And yes the "cool factor" plays a part to. But yea I'll probably do it on the cheap and just do internals.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
cool facter= 1100 bucks spend it on a sheet metel intake or the frpp manifold and other goodies
but the cool facter is.......cool

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will not be replacing the intake. Until someone comes out with a quality cast manifold that keeps the SVT stock TB location, I'm not changing. (Unless I blow mine apart) hehe.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The one I got from Tom keeps the TB in the stock location, I get it back Tuesday and IF I remember I'll snap a pic for ya

1 - 8 of 8 Posts