Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody make a chain timing belt uprgrade for the fucass?

·
Registered
970 Posts
isnt chain timing belt a contradiction, its either a timing chain or a timing belt.
I dont know of any conversions for a timing belt to timing chain, why would u want to do that anyways?

·
Registered
424 Posts
zetec motors have timing belts and it would be pretty difficult to convert it to timing chain if there is a kit out there, doubt it though, just buy a pzev

·
Registered
714 Posts
why would u want to do that anyways?
Reliability. I've seen a lot of broken belts, but only a few broken chains. The only broken chains I've seen where on <350hp V8'S.

·
Registered
970 Posts
ic, but wouldnt it be a pain to have to find cam gears that would coincide with a chain? i think it would be a lot of work for a little benefit imo.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Chains are heavier, louder and subject to wear which causes imprecise valve timing. I brought a lot of preconceptions with me when I started working on 4-cyl engines too....much of what I knew about my V-8's just does not translate, especially when we are dealing with hot-running, high rpm, dual overhead cam engines.....good thought though!

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
so what if your belt breakes? its a non-interference engine. you just get a new belt and reset the timing.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
so what if your belt breakes? its a non-interference engine. you just get a new belt and reset the timing.
exactly, believe me when i say, 4 cyls with chains is just a pain in the butt when it comes to maintenence

·
Registered
424 Posts
essentially yes, the pistons never touch the valves when the belt breaks
, when you break a belt in an interference engine that is what happens

·
Registered
641 Posts
So, PZEV has timing chain instead of timing belt ?

Timing chain is not bad at all. Look at the 4 cyl. sentra/altima, their engine is not that rough, but again suzuki sounds a bit rough. I'd love timing chain more than timing belt for sure.

=dRe=

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
PZEV has 2 chains. one for timing and one for the oil pump. also an interference engine, FYI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts