Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing my mind. If it was a job, i\'d be rich. AKA Life Story >

Alright, it's late. So, take all of this with a grain of salt. If you don't like books, skip to the bold letters

With that said;

My car, has been through different stages in it's life. After I showed my amazing driving skill and totalled our(moms and I) 2000 Silver ZX3. I used the money to go towards a used Focus. I could not find a suitable replacement for her until I went to one of Dan-D's G2G's in CenFla in October of last year.

There, I met Dale, now, I had known Dale for a while from a previous G2G we had back in 2002 in Vero Beach FL. We were talking and he was telling me about how he heard I had totalled my ZX3 and [censored] chat like that. Anyway, he mentioned that he was in the market for a new car and his would be up for grabs soon.

So, I of course talk with him through all the little details/mods on the car and we settled on a deal. With the cash from the insurance company and some from the most generous/great people on the planet, Focaljet, I drove up to Daytona with my buddy Chris(only_in_a_domestic) and picked her up a week later.

Now, I told you that story to tell you this one.

Over the course of not even a year, my '01 Foci has been a troublesome little car. And for no other reason than me. Of course a car will give you trouble if ya take short cuts and go ghetto with things here and there. So, I made my fair share of mistakes when it was a fairly simple car. So I figured I would take it to the next level.

I got an idea! Let's Supercharge it! That'll make things let complicated, right?

So, over the course of supercharging it, it has run perfect for a total of, eh, maybe a week total. Not saying that it didn't run the whole time. Just that, whenever I would get it running perfect, another little graemelin would show it's face and i'd have to figure out what that was. And so on and so forth.

When it was perfect, it was doing about 185whp/170wtq on a 10psi JRSC. And it was a blast.

Now, a month and half ago or so. The car had been slowly getting slower(combo of a few things). Come to find out that the compression is going bad(120, 140, 170, 169). But, I do not think I did that to the motor. I am shooting for the fact that before I bought it, it had a 125 shot of Nitrous on it for 3 years.

Anyway, a month later, I finally swap out my IAT sensor for a new one. BAM! Car ran better than it ever did. So, obviously the compression had always been that way, just the IAT running on a base map in the ECU was making it run 'off' so to speak.

So, car runs great! ...for a day...

Then, my clutch decided to put a big air bubble in the line. So, I go ahead and bleed the clutch.

Well, I was bleeding the clutch wrong for about an hour and half when I called my good buddy dan-d and he told me the right way to do it.

So, about an hour into doing it the right way. I decide to stop paying attention. I finally start to see some fluid through the bleeder valve. So, I start to screw the valve in. Start in on it with the socket wrench to tighten it and bit and...bam...Slave cylninder strips from me putting the bolt in a bit off center.

So, I get a mad at myself, especially mad considering it had been running so flawless. I think to myself, "It's about that time for something new.".

With that, I bought a $500 beater car to drive everyday and begin tearing into mine to part out and go a different direction with.

Now that i've bored you to death. My dilemma.

I want to let her sit and I want to tinker on her and pull stuff off and clean her up the way she always deserved to be and basically just save up cash for something new for her.

But, I have had a few different thoughts on the subject that I just cannot figure out(keep in mind, I have a daily car to drive around to work and back now).

Idea 1:
Strip/Gut - No A/C, Power Steering, Radio, Airbags
Full Cage, Race Seats/Belts, Fuel Cell
Coilovers, Big Swaybars, Big Brakes
Built Motor, Built TH Tranny
Turbo, SCT PRP, Water/Propane Injection

Goal - 400+whp, track ready and a blast to drive
Pros - Awesome power, track ready
Cons - Lots of custom tuning, lots of custom problems, lots of custom downtime

Idea 2:
EAP SVT Interior, Decent Stereo, Comfortable
Coilovers, SVT Brakes, Progress Rear Sway
Built TH Tranny, New Stock Crate Zetec
PowerWorks Kit w/ a little bit more Boost

Goal, fun to drive everyday, comfortable/livable, no worries
Pros - Great daily car, reliable and fun
Cons - Would want more power eventually

Idea 3:
Stock Interior(sell interior goodies)
Stock Exterior(sell exterior goodies)
Stock Motor/trans(sell all engine goodies, already started)
Sell Focus

Goal: Sell to get a new car
Pros - Money from Mods go towards new car, money from car itself goes towards new car
Cons - I love the car, even if she hates me sometimes.

Idea 3.1:
Find '03/'04 2.3 ZX3
Coilovers, SVT Brakes
Cosworth Intake Mani, T/B, FS Intake
MM Header/flex, 3" Marcy Exhaust
Crane Stage 3's, MM Ported Head, Eagle Rods, JE pistons, ARP Hardware
SCT Xcal

Goal: Reliable, high NA hp
Pro's - If built right, will be very reliable, and everyone loves to wind out a well tuned NA motor. No boost troubles/worries, just clean, not gonna break anything, fun.
Cons - "Low" torque, no upgradeability in the future.

Well, that's it. I'm at a crossroads of what I want to do and I emplore everyone to please help guide me.

I have dreams of sheer power, but also would love a NA Duratec to cruise around in reliably, or a fun PowerWorks Zetec...And hence why I am so torn.

Help me, please!

PS - I would like to thank everyone who has helped me with my car(The Brocus) over the past year;

Andrew(3 Stripes)
Steven(Tekin112)
Chris(only_in_a_domestic)
Mike(2003FocusZX3)
Nick(Honda Hunter)
Nick(BackNFocus)
Mom(Y2K ZX3/Linda)
Chris(PitchBlackSVT02)
Rich(Richnev)
Larry(Orangezxt)
Ray(Demonfire)
Evan(Majikal)
Seth(emulous)
Danny(pimp_on_wagon)
Dustin(not on FJ)
Brandy(DuckyFocus, Beautiful GF)
Other I am forgetting, speak up!

Thanks guys, I appreciate everything!

- One Confused Kid, Drew.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Re: Changing my mind. If it was a job, i\'d be rich. AKA Life Story >

I say idea 2 since you love the car!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts

lol. just, lol. what i would do? fix it and drive it some more until you decide what you really want. because NO MATTER which route you take you'll want the other route as well.

ooh ooh i have an idea! buy my car. it fits into scenario 2 pretty well.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts

Take it from me. I am the most fickle person you will ever meet when it comes to the direction I wnat to take my car.

I say fix her as she is and work out any bugs then keep her or scenario 3.1.

·
Registered
715 Posts

Idea 2 no doubt

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
Re: Changing my mind. If it was a job, i\'d be rich. AKA Life Sto

Will #1 be for the 1/4 mi or road racing? If it's for the twisties, I'd say go for that! (PS: you don't necessarily need a turbo for the track, Mr. Stout has proven that the PowerWorks blower is quite effective at spanking heiny out there -- most important is driver skill and car setup!)

Otherwise, I say #2.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts

I like idea 2 and idea 3.1

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

I personally like the idea of #2.

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts

numba 2 but h&r rear bar and bigger than svt brakes in front. maybe from todd at tce

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

I say idea 1, why, because it would then become a limited purpose vehicle and you can focus on one direction and not waste your limited money on superficial things, because let's face it, if you did 2, decent always turns into "I had decent, now I want better". And you know yourself, you can't leave it alone, so why put yourself in a situation that requires you to stop at some point and then rely on a vehicle that you know is going to be constantly evolving.

Idea 1 means that you would have the power and handling you want, but it would never be your daily driver, that would leave you with the opporutnity to pursue all your other ideas down the road while still always making sure you have a reliable daily driver that you don't touch, and a fun car you can go and play with while you're working on your next project.

But I'm gonna be a [censored] and suggest that you redirect your ideas on what you want to do with your life and save up to do that. Think about furthering your education, where you want to live and where you want to go. With that path being followed you're opening the door to not having to buy $500 beaters as your daily driver and having the money to do all your ideas for cars. A little forgoing and saving today can bring great rewards later. I know it's not what you want to hear, but you know I have to say it.

·
Registered
294 Posts

But I'm gonna be a [censored] and suggest that you redirect your ideas on what you want to do with your life and save up to do that. Think about furthering your education, where you want to live and where you want to go. With that path being followed you're opening the door to not having to buy $500 beaters as your daily driver and having the money to do all your ideas for cars. A little forgoing and saving today can bring great rewards later. I know it's not what you want to hear, but you know I have to say it.
Drew, I'm quoting this for truth, you know how I feel. IMO Seth is totally right. I want you to do the best you can. I love you.

As far as the car situation, Brandy likes 2 and 3.1.

You always tell me how you wish your car was just fun to drive! Nothing more. You want something reliable and fun! I know you are worried about power and what not, and I understand why.

The thing is you get stressed when your car isn't working, then you get mad at it, then it sits there until you can work on it without wanting to break every piece of it off.

I say make it just fun enough to please you and reliable and your good. Maybe one day you will be able to have another Focus that you could pull more power out of and have more fun with.

Think about what you want. In reality, that's all that matters.

-Ducky

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts

Wow I think Brandi knows you pretty well. You picked a good one. Listen to her. Don't worry I can send you another sticker for another Focus.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts

i agree with most people when saying 3.1 and 2. Idea 1 imo is going to end up giving you more headaches than now. For idea 3 i just remind you how good of resale value foci have, especially if they find out all the problems its been having

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts

Drew, I'm quoting this for truth, you know how I feel. IMO Seth is totally right. I want you to do the best you can. I love you.

You always tell me how you wish your car was just fun to drive! Nothing more. You want something reliable and fun! I know you are worried about power and what not, and I understand why.

The thing is you get stressed when your car isn't working, then you get mad at it, then it sits there until you can work on it without wanting to break every piece of it off.

I say make it just fun enough to please you and reliable and your good. Maybe one day you will be able to have another Focus that you could pull more power out of and have more fun with.

-Ducky
What we say really doesn't matter. What does matter though, is what this woman right here is saying.

I'd take her input and roll with it since the two of you are practically "one" now.
You guys have been together long enough that she knows you well......her input should be the most important to you as she wants what is best for you.

Remember, not only do you have to live with the Focus, but you have to live with her as your g/f.....and you have to live with yourself as well.

Trying to keep a balance between the three is key.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts

GO for #2 and enjoy the car. Or, better yet, go for #3 and buy my focus in the spring!
I can drive it down to Sanibel in march!

I would surely go with the 2nd option and enjoy driving the car. My focus was heading towards the track slut direction, until it became too much of a hassel to drive daily. The car is no going back to stock, and the money from selling the parts is going to make my Mustang into a ESP Solo II track car.

·
Registered
294 Posts

-Ducky
What we say really doesn't matter. What does matter though, is what this woman right here is saying.

I'd take her input and roll with it since the two of you are practically "one" now.
You guys have been together long enough that she knows you well......her input should be the most important to you as she wants what is best for you.

Remember, not only do you have to live with the Focus, but you have to live with her as your g/f.....and you have to live with yourself as well.

Trying to keep a balance between the three is key.
Whoa whoa whoa... no no no... lets not say that. See, I'm car illiterate, when you talk about specifics, so half of those words up there in the ideas, made no sense to me, only the goals, pros, and cons ment something.

My opinion isn't any more important than everyone esle's. Drew and I have been together for almost 2 years now but that doesn't mean anything when it comes to this. Drew is his own person, we are two different people with common feelings.

Yes, I do want what is best for him but so does everyone else on FJ.

-Ducky

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts

I wasn't trying to imply that you knew a lot about cars. What I was trying to say was that you know how he acts when his car is not working properly.....and you don't like to see that.
I say make it just fun enough to please you and reliable and your good.
This is your way of trying to make sure he is happy with his car AND himself. And in the process it will make YOU happy since you won't see him all stressed out about his car not running correctly.

I take what my wife says with a LOT of importance. She doesn't know ANYTHING about cars, but she has a similar attitude as you towards me and my relationship with it.

If all I thought about was making my car an auto-x demon, it would be uncivil for daily use, and that would upset my wife since it would be uncomfortable for her to ride in because the springs would be so stiff. And I would probably be unhappy with it as a daily driver as well. So, in thinking about this, I decided to shy away from making a hardcore auto-x car to make me and my wife happy at the same time.

Her happiness is more important than my happiness with my car. On the same note, she wants to see me happy and knows that my car does that, so we talk about things such as this.

It's all compromise. The ones you love, and who love you should have more of an impact on the decisions you make than outside people.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Thanks everyone, i'm listening

- Drew

1 - 20 of 32 Posts