Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked focushacks.com and took a look at their walk-thru of the belt replacement, tried it, couldn't get the tensioner to move at all.

I don't know if their walk-thru is wrong, if I was doing something wrong, or what's goin on here.

The focushacks walk-thru says remove splash guard, reach up, push tensioner upward with your hand, and un-loop belt from the crank and ac pulleys.

I couldn't get the tensioner to move at all, and I was putting everything I had into it pushing on it.

Is this actually something one can do themselves at home, or should it be done by a pro?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
hey 2xtreme..

If it won't budge, get back under it (you can't do it from above the car) and latch onto the bolt that appears to hold the tensioner pulley to the tensioner arm. It is 15mm, I suggest getting on it with a 6-point (not 12) Box-End wrench if you can. Otherwise an open-end or 12-point box end will probably work. Then rotate the tensioner up by forcing thewrench back toward the firewall.

As soon as you get some movement at the tensioner, start by working the belt off of the water pump, which is the pulley without any "lip" or ridges. It's the easiest pulley to start with, and it's also usually the last pulley I loop the belt around, too.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Ax0n must be hercules, Ive never been able to move a tensioner with my hand. Put a wrench on it and rotate it clockwise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just insert a regular 3/4 wrench, insert it into the slot in the tensioner and rotate it.
You might be able to move it by hand, but probably only if the tensioner is broken.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was under the impression that this was a simple job by the way the focushacks walk-thru made it sound, said it would take 15-30 minutes, and the only tool needed was a 10mm socket to remove the splash guard.

I think I'll have my buddy who's a mechanic take a look at it tomorrow. I know, I'm lazy, but going from day shift to midnights messes you up.

·
6,880 Posts
Ax0n must be hercules, Ive never been able to move a tensioner with my hand. Put a wrench on it and rotate it clockwise.
I are teh stwahnng...

Dude, I just went out and did it... no problems here.

Maybe it's time for a new tensioner. Of course, given that logic, It was time for a new tensioner back when I did my AF/X UDP at 20k miles....

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Maybe it's time for a new tensioner. Of course, given that logic, It was time for a new tensioner back when I did my AF/X UDP at 20k miles....
I'm tempted to suggest the same thing. It's much easier to do it now than later. I had my tensioner go after I replaced the serpentine belt.

I think the tensioner was almost $100...but it's almost in that "might as well" category.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I'm tempted to suggest the same thing. It's much easier to do it now than later. I had my tensioner go after I replaced the serpentine belt.

I think the tensioner was almost $100...but it's almost in that "might as well" category.

You got screwed... I bought one and it was only like $50

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I finally got my belt replaced on my Focus. I had to do it the "hard way."

I jacked the car up, put it on stands, then un-bolted the coolant resevoir, and removed the passenger side engine mount after supporting the engine from below, using a big wrench to move the tensioner and un-looping the belt that way. Then used the big wrench to hold the tensioner while looping the new belt in place. Then re-installed the passenger side engine mount and coolant resevoir, re-install the splash guard and lowered the car back down. Good to go after that.

Looks like Focushacks walk-thru wasn't exactly right.

·
6,880 Posts
You don't need to un-bolt the engine and support it if you work on the tensioner from underneath. You can un-do the coolant (and power steering) resevoir for more room up top if you're having trouble looping it around.

·
Banned
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was pretty damn easy once I got all that stuff out of the way from the top. Took me about 30 minutes to do the whole job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts