Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car is on the verge of being called totalled which got me thinking. What would be the cheaper way to get to 300 hp and still be a daily driver??? SVT vs ZX3

I have been looking for a replacement focus. Basically I could get a ZX3 with manual tranny and i'm a sucker for power windows for 6,000. Or get a SVT for 9,000.

Now I believe the 3 grand difference plus the cheaper to mod transmission gives the ZX3 the nod but the brake system and styling are hard factors to ignore.

Opinions?

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
ZX3;

$6000+

Built Motor(stock will not take 300 for very long)
Clutch/FW/LSD
Turbo Kit

SVT;

$9000+

Stock motor can take 300
Clutch/FW/LSD
Turbo Kit

Your call

- Drew

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Cheap+300whp= not possible.

Scott

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I would budget around 10K to do a proper, safe and daily drivable 300whp for a ZX3.

Built block - 3k
Turbo kit - 4k
Clutch/LSD - 1.5k
Gauges, BOV, EBC, J&S - 1.5k

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm well if to get a motor at the quality of a svt's is 3 grand i'd say based on that the svt is a better platform based on the $$$ difference is made up right there. Not to mention the much upgraded brake system and styling. My question is I here bad things about the getrag vs. the mtx-75. I like to go to the drag strip every month and run my ZX3 and I want to continue doing that.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
orangesvt has 305 at the wheels with a getrag 6 speed and it holds tom ran a 12sec pass with the same setup it held i think they are both very nice trannys

·
Registered
948 Posts
In the SVT/ST170, the issue has never really been about the Getrag box, but the flywheel/clutch combination. As standard the Getrag 6 speed will take more torque than the MTX-75 as fitted to the RS !

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
thats why i started /w my SVT because of all the things it started with that the ZX3 didnt, esp. the engine and suspension. And ? you made it sound like the SVT didnt have power windows, mines is power everything???

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
about the svt and power windows, yes i know that. I simply mentioned it with the zx3 because I could probably find a zx3 for even cheaper than 6 thou if it was bare minimum on the options. The whole meaning of my post here is just what the better platform to start from to reach a bonafide 300 hp street machine.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
$3000 NO WAY, a turbo capable of making 300whp is gonna run over $1000 closer to $1200 for the TURBO ALONE.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts