Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked into a track only option with this little beauty
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1344&prmenbr=361
This is an alternative to buying a 400 dollar race header (not completely but mostly) and that 180 dollar flex and that 300+ dollar catback and the high flow cat 100
thats just shy of a 1000 dollars worth of crap for the same power... granted it wont give you a badass sound but the power thing is more then taken care of

and what is this great device?? an exhaust bypass that can be put in just before your cat and jets straight atmosphere from there whether you put an open mandrel pipe on it or whether you choke on fumes is up to you... sure its a little noisy... but if your at the track... and you want 10/15 horsepower gobs of torque and that open header sound its the only way to go.. oh yea... and dollars per horsepower?? about... 3.50 a horse... common you cant even buy pro stock 121 for taht much a gallon..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah i like those...but I'd be further convinced if someone dyno tested it ;-) ha JK...do you tihnk youd gain power off of straight exhaust on a foci?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
our cat doesnt exactly have a conventional location. so im gonna go with it probably not working

·
Registered
180 Posts
nope - won't work. The cat bolts directly to the header - there is no real length of pipe between the cat and header to make this fit... besides there's a lot more to exhaust systems than just relieving cat backpressure...

Rob

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hehe Zonker i guess thats why i have one on my car
and you do have to do a little bit to make them not leak i used some exhaust sealeant stuff and the exhaust gasses plow the plate out anyways so all you have to do is help it out a little.... even when it did leak a little... it gave my car a really mean edge sound at high rpm from the escaped decibels couldnt really smell the extra fumes though.... not at all from the cabin. Some people on here automatically account themselves to know everything there is to know about the focus and Im one that knows little but what i do know is that i have one of these very same units on MY focus and it works... perfectly... So i guess mayby my focus is diffrent from the rest of the worlds it will just work on mine! Grrrr somepeople light me up!

As for the power ?? its worth a .4 second in the eight
its mean soundin too heh. That pissed off ultra high rpm drag 4 cylinder sound...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Originally posted by Travis:
hehe Zonker i guess thats why i have one on my car
and you do have to do a little bit to make them not leak i used some exhaust sealeant stuff and the exhaust gasses plow the plate out anyways so all you have to do is help it out a little.... even when it did leak a little... it gave my car a really mean edge sound at high rpm from the escaped decibels couldnt really smell the extra fumes though.... not at all from the cabin. Some people on here automatically account themselves to know everything there is to know about the focus and Im one that knows little but what i do know is that i have one of these very same units on MY focus and it works... perfectly... So i guess mayby my focus is diffrent from the rest of the worlds it will just work on mine! Grrrr somepeople light me up!

As for the power ?? its worth a .4 second in the eight
its mean soundin too heh. That pissed off ultra high rpm drag 4 cylinder sound...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Where did you install this? After the cat?

Or you got a Off road pipe and installed this?

Cuz as the others said, you can't install this between the manifold and Cat!

why not just go and unbolt the flex pipe, take 3 minutes including jacking the car!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nahh I had a shop weld flanges and it had to move the cat down about an inch to make it fit... hey thats what the flex pipe is for anyways and why not just unbolt the flex everytime... because without a bent exhaust pipe from the bypass away from the engine and under neith the **** gets sucked into your intake into your lungs in your vents in your car fabrics and all the little other places that nasty exhaust smell can accumulate... there are 2 ways to uncap your exhaust for a hella lot of horsepower the jerry rigged way and the better jerry rigged way... the choice is yours

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Travis, do you own a Focus?

Because, you can't just "move the cat 1 inch down". And through this on! Where is it venting to? in front of the engine?

I have a similar setup, but it is the exhaust from my Wastegate that vents to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes jays i own a focus yes jays a proffesional shop put this on yes jays it will fit yes jays the piece had to be modified yes jays iv made several post on this board yes jays i work on cars no jays your respect card just got revoked file for another one

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
yes jays i own a focus yes jays a proffesional shop put this on yes jays it will fit yes jays the piece had to be modified yes jays iv made several post on this board yes jays i work on cars no jays your respect card just got revoked file for another one
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Right buddy! You are talking about using an exhaust dump as a way of getting more power out of the Focus. My mistake, you are the pro! That is why you have the "Rookie" under your name.

Punctuation helps too though!

But yeah, you must be hardcore to have an exhaust dump on a FWD. you have the stock exhaust manifold still too?

Anyways, I am wasting my time here! I'll get back to talking about making REAL power!

And BTW, 13 posts is not "several posts"

Thank you, come again!

AND another thing, PLease get this Dyno tuned compared to a Race header/flex/cat back combo. My guess is that you will be surprised at the LOSS of power.

Also, some people don't mind spending some $$ to get prooven parts for their cars, that give great HP gains, and that they can use both on the street and at the track and in most cases, still be emmisions legal!

[ 10-04-2002, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Jays2000ZX3 ]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hehe funny how a pro gets so tipsy turny over a little rookie.... and yes I have an exhaust dump only at the track easily flipable back to my original exhaust with the pull of this little switch that moves that butterfly back over... highly track efficient highly street efficent highly leagle and 46 best bang for the bucks (actaully around 80 after the cutlarly was put away) iv ever spent... you assume your a god because you spend all your damn time on this message board... try spending it under your hood
this does make you correct in that you are wasting your time here. First good statement youv made.. mayby you should more closely test the hanging tolerance of the stock cat or mayby you should shutup when you dont know what your talking about and being a smarta... person

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
hehe funny how a pro gets so tipsy turny over a little rookie.... and yes I have an exhaust dump only at the track easily flipable back to my original exhaust with the pull of this little switch that moves that butterfly back over... highly track efficient highly street efficent highly leagle and 46 best bang for the bucks (actaully around 80 after the cutlarly was put away) iv ever spent... you assume your a god because you spend all your damn time on this message board... try spending it under your hood
this does make you correct in that you are wasting your time here. First good statement youv made.. mayby you should more closely test the hanging tolerance of the stock cat or mayby you should shutup when you dont know what your talking about and being a smarta... person
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Right, well, let me start off by saying that you should visit the FORCED INDUCTION forum! And READ about how I ditched the stock cat for.....a Turbo. I did all the work myself, and I have 235whp and 240 ft. lbs of torque. I am the 2nd fastest in MPH in the 1/4 mile, and I have the 3rd fastest ET in the 1/4 mile. Damn, maybe I should learn how to turn a wrench.

But good job on the exhaust dump though! I am sure it brought you from 105whp to 106whp!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Originally posted by Jays2000ZX3:
[/qb]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Right, well, let me start off by saying that you should visit the FORCED INDUCTION forum! And READ about how I ditched the stock cat for.....a Turbo. I did all the work myself, and I have 235whp and 240 ft. lbs of torque. I am the 2nd fastest in MPH in the 1/4 mile, and I have the 3rd fastest ET in the 1/4 mile. Damn, maybe I should learn how to turn a wrench.

But good job on the exhaust dump though! I am sure it brought you from 105whp to 106whp!
[/QUOTE]

nice

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actaully Im not rich enough to run it on a dyno and niether am i rich enough to buy a turbo *im an naturally aspirated guy myself* but i am rich enough to pay 15 bucks to goto the track and it chopped me down into the 9 second 1/8th mile range. 9.97 actaully and i havent had a chance to get into it really good yet.. so for the 360 dollars in mods i dropped my car from 11.56 to 9.97... 1.59 seconds in the eigth for 360 bucks... thats roughly 226 and half bucks for a second. besides if you didnt like my indecent horribly polluting (less then the other open header v8`s at the track) modification all you had to say was oh... well thats not for me... but instead of not posting you riduculed me and told me i didnt own a focus... then once that argument was settled and i said how the piece was fitted on there you said you were going to leave but you came back here to ridicule this little gem me personally which means you do care... thats so sweet of you jay...
mayby you already know how to turn a wrench... but those people skills man.. seriously!
hehe im just a beginner at this game of modifying things my focus... and this beginner knew something you didnt... doesnt that suck... sure you could teach me hours of things i dont know about turbos and nitrous.. but I dont insult your aerocharger modification when my v8 331 makes 3 times the power for what your aerocharger unit costs but you know that doesnt count oh yea... and directly from dictionary.com

sev·er·al Pronunciation Key (svr-l, svrl)
adj.
Being of a number more than two or three but not many: several miles away.
Single; distinct: “Pshaw! said I, with an air of carelessness, three several times” (Laurence Sterne).
Respectively different; various: They parted and went their several ways. See Synonyms at distinct.
Law. Relating separately to each party of a bond or note.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Travis, Jays does not have an areocharger, it's a custom setup that he put together himself.

I however like the idea of an exhaust cutout! But the one your showing is about an inch too small in diameter for us turbo guys. And only 22.95 from JC Whitney !!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not trying to get into this, but I'm sure you're not teaching jay anything "new" travis. Maybe you've found a different or better way of putting this piece on, but the truth of the matter is that it sounds too good to be true and in most cases they aren't true. If it works for you, great...Happy for ya, I personally prefer to save money and invest into dyno proven parts, like my magnaflow, raceheaders, and flexpipe...I'm not rich, but I save and get what I want

My .02

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Jay .. just back off .. stuff like insulting cus of postcount n stuff .. (the reason they took it away.. =( ..) just makes you look far less intellegent then you actually are. And we all know what you can do with the focus, no point mentioning it like that..

Just be like p51 when it comes to stuff like this.. sit back and laugh.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts