Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford did not install a Cabin Air Filter (FP-38) into my 2002 ZX3. I had to buy one from the dealership for $23 CDN incl tax, and install it myself. Anyone else experience this cost cutting measure from ford?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
The cabin filter has never been installed from the factory unless specified.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Ok, I ran a search and found this. Sorry for the resurrection of this post, but I got to know… where is the cabin filter located?

I went to change my Cabin filter this past weekend and found no filter as well (01 Wagon). In fact, I could not find anywhere to confirm the location of the cabin filter. I think it’s located below the passenger side windshield wiper and under that black plastic cowling. Is this correct? What a miserable piece of caca location.

By the way, the FP-38 Motorcraft number, does anyone have a cross-reference? In Ford’s infinite wisdom, Motorcraft filters have to be purchased from the Dealer. I’ll never use Fram, but Purolator works for me on this type of filter. Any other suggestions?

·
I Now Post Stupid ****
3,495 Posts
Ok, I ran a search and found this. Sorry for the resurrection of this post, but I got to know… where is the cabin filter located?

I went to change my Cabin filter this past weekend and found no filter as well (01 Wagon). In fact, I could not find anywhere to confirm the location of the cabin filter. I think it’s located below the passenger side windshield wiper and under that black plastic cowling. Is this correct? What a miserable piece of caca location.

By the way, the FP-38 Motorcraft number, does anyone have a cross-reference? In Ford’s infinite wisdom, Motorcraft filters have to be purchased from the Dealer. I’ll never use Fram, but Purolator works for me on this type of filter. Any other suggestions?
Like said above the Cabin filter is not installed out the factory so you won't have one unless you've already put one in there. Be careful when taking off the piece that holds the cabin filter. I broke the clips ( I saw no way around that..honest) and I now have to silicone my weatherstripping to ensure it seats right during the seasons. The price for cleaner air I guess.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Correct location. Motorcraft is not only sold by Ford, most aftermarket parts stores can atleast order Motorcraft parts if they don't stock them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Noresull – Thanks for the info. I might as well get the filter from the Dealer because I will want a second set of clips just in case. I know there are at least two of those little clips and they seem easy to break.

I have been able to get Motorcraft Oil filters from AutoZone, but they don’t carry the air filters. Pep Boys used to carry Motorcraft and so did Kmart, but no longer. I have had good luck with CarParts.com in the past, but their site was down this past week. I have even tried JEGs with no luck. Which aftermarket store/site caries Motorcraft?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Out here it's a store called Checker, but I beleive they are called Kragen out in California. Either way, it's www.cskauto.com but Motorcraft is not listed on their site I beleive.

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
nope. kragen/schuck's/checker doesn't sell it...yet. we (i work for them)actually don't sell any motorcraft products. we're starting to carry FRAM's new line of cabin air filters, but we only have a few and the focus isn't one of them. can't even order it yet (not sure FRAM even makes it yet). i got mine at NAPA. didn't give them any P/Ns to x-reference. just told them what i drove and what i needed and they had it. like $14 if i remember right. really does help to keep te dust down inside!

Mike

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Well, Checker here is where I get Motorcraft parts if I don't get them from the dealer, of course, I have to order them all.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not completely true, my ZTS came equipped with one. It's time for a replacement too!

·
Registered
556 Posts
my 2000 came with one...when I went to have it changed when they changed my oil the pt# they showed didn't fit, take the lid off the filter box & take it in with you to make sure it fits...& yah the tabs break easy so be careful

·
Registered
670 Posts
Why is this so difficult? I went to the Dealer to order the filter and clips. The clips shown were not correct; the picture showed a plastic sleeve, Philips screw, and a cap. None of which I have. (Mine are thin little white posts that ‘click’ into a white square with a couple of receiver fins.)

Then the filter just looked too big from what I remembered. So I decided against getting anything. Pep Boys was on the way home. I stopped there and picked up the Purolator cabin filter (will get part number later – left it at home 2 days in a row…) Again, it looked bigger then the black plastic cover, but it was $10 less then the Dealer so I gave it a try. Yep, too big.

My Dealer asked that I bring in a sample of the clip and the cover for the cabin filter. Sounds easy enough, but that renders the car un-drivable with the cowling loose.

Does anyone have a part number that fits? It does not have to be Motorcraft… just not Fram. I will not buy Fram for any reason.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If it doesn't fit, return it. Go to the dealer and get the FP-38 for the Focus and it's around $14.00.

When you have the cowl removed you can now see the air intake opening. If you look down into the opening there is a grille in place.

If you look toward the front of the opening the front panel will fold down very slightly by releasing two tabs located on either side. You then remove the square grille.

Next you take the cabin filter and gently squeeze both the left and right side folds as you insert it into place while at the same time you are holding the front panel down ever so slightly.

The filter will fit. Sometimes it gets hung up and appears as if it won't fit, but it does.

Regarding those little white pin-type clips. Unless you do not have them lined up and you really try to force them in, they will not break. If you force them they will bend and distort.

You are more likely to damage the slotted piece that they sit in on the cowl side. If those slotted pieces are damaged you can get replacements, but you may not be able to replace them because they are held in place to the cowl by built in tabs that are electronically melted down into place over the slotted tabs. Once removed you no longer have anything to attach the slotted pieces to. Glue won't work nor will silicone. They must be firmly attached to the cowl.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I went to the Dealer’s this morning with my non-fitting Purolator c25387 in hand. Asked them for the Cabin filter for the 01 Focus and they handed me the Motorcraft FP-38. I pulled each out of the box and compared them… **These are the exact same filter**.

The only difference is the price. The FP-38 = $21 (he said he would give me a deal at $17) and the Purolator from PepBoys = $12.

The plan is to triple check that the FP-38/c25387 does not fit,using G1's suggestions. If this is still the case, bring the black plastic screen/holder/grill in to the Dealer for sizing.

Thanks for your help-

·
Registered
518 Posts
I went to the Dealer’s this morning with my non-fitting Purolator c25387 in hand. Asked them for the Cabin filter for the 01 Focus and they handed me the Motorcraft FP-38. I pulled each out of the box and compared them… **These are the exact same filter**.

The only difference is the price. The FP-38 = $21 (he said he would give me a deal at $17) and the Purolator from PepBoys = $12.

The plan is to triple check that the FP-38/c25387 does not fit,using G1's suggestions. If this is still the case, bring the black plastic screen/holder/grill in to the Dealer for sizing.

Thanks for your help-
My dealer gave me a Motorcraft FP-41 Cabin filter and it fit perfectly

1 - 20 of 26 Posts