Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw the below press release from the Tire Trade Group about how many wash their car more than checking their tire pressure. They call it a safety issue, but its also a fuel efficiency and environmental issue since underinflated tires make your car less efficient and thus burn more oil.

So with the start of Ozone Season in much of U.S. check your tire inflation and thus improve safety, burn less gas and keep the planet's air cleaner (from the tailpipe and the refinery).

Heck, Its more patriotic than putting an American Flag sticker on one's SUV.

Press Release Source: Rubber Manufacturers Association

Consumers More Likely to Have Clean Car Than Correct Tire Pressure
Wednesday April 30, 3:37 pm ET

Tire Industry's National Tire Safety Week Seeks Emphasis on Proper Maintenance
WASHINGTON, April 30 /PRNewswire/ -- U.S. drivers are more likely to wash their cars than correctly check tire pressure, according to a national survey released today by the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA), which represents tire manufacturers. The survey found that three out of four American drivers wash their vehicle at least once a month, while only one in seven correctly checks tire pressure.

"We think it's more important to have a safe car than a clean car," said Donald B. Shea, RMA president and CEO. "Our research clearly shows that motorists need information about proper tire care."

The survey was released during National Tire Safety Week, an initiative of RMA's "Be Tire Smart -- Play Your PART" program, which is designed to educate motorists about proper tire care. PART stands for Pressure, Alignment, Rotation and Tread, the four key elements of tire maintenance.

RMA's survey, conducted nationwide in February, also found:

* Motorists rank tires as the second-most important safety feature in
vehicles after brakes.
* Only 14 percent of drivers properly check their tire inflation pressure.
Properly checking tires means checking at least once a month before
tires have been driven even a mile and inflating them to the vehicle
manufacturer's recommended pressure, not the pressure listed on the tire
sidewall.
* 45 percent of drivers wrongly believe that if they are taking a trip
with a fully loaded vehicle that they are better off if their tires are
a little bit underinflated.
* Nearly 7 out of 10 drivers don't know how to tell if their tires are
bald.

Other research conducted in recent years by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and AAA, is alarming. NHTSA found that one- fourth of passenger cars and one-third of light trucks/SUVs have at least one significantly underinflated tire.

"Making sure tires are properly inflated is one of the easiest and most important maintenance procedures consumers can do for themselves," said John Nielsen, director of AAA's Approved Auto Repair Network. "By acquiring the habit of checking tire pressure each month, motorists can improve road safety for themselves, their passengers and other motorists."

[ 04-30-2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Fordowner ]

·
Registered
311 Posts
I recently had a coversation similar to this with my girlfriend. I thought one of her tires looked a little low so I whipped out my tire gauge, (come on guys...you all have a tire gauge with you at all times, right??
) and her front drivers side tire was an astounding 16 psi!!! exactly half of what it should have been. So I gave her an abbreviated lesson in tire care and safety, but I'm afraid it went in one ear and out the other...oh well, I guess that's what she keeps me around for, to check her tires...

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
To add to this post I have read that the US government is making it a law that all vehicles I think beginning in 2004 or 2005 being produced have in car tire pressure monitors because too many people are driving around with low tire pressure while not being aware of it which reduces fuel economy and of course safety.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The aforementioned pending regulation is yet another reason why you can't even get a simple 4 cyl. car for less than 10 grand in the U.S. anymore.

Italy's Fiat Panda is like 4500$ and that's considered a nice car...

"Only want to buy the technology I need"
~Paris

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Originally posted by zetec2000:
The aforementioned pending regulation is yet another reason why you can't even get a simple 4 cyl. car for less than 10 grand in the U.S. anymore.

Italy's Fiat Panda is like 4500$ and that's considered a nice car...

"Only want to buy the technology I need"
~Paris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But in the US people don't care about cheap cars...and Automakers have a hell of a time making any money off them. Its all about the profit margin baby

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
To add to checking your tire pressure regularly. Make sure you check the actual condition of the tire.

I only say this beacause the other day when i was washing my car, I discovered a nice bubble on my sidewall
...good think my car has a full size spare!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts