what gains will i see?

who can custom burn me a chip?

is it worth the money?

will i pass 150 whp?

thanks guys any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
301 Posts
skip the chip, dyno tune the thing with a wideband O2 to make sure your not running lean and then spend the rest of your money on test and tune nights.

With the off the shelf chips all you'll get is a little advance in timing and a big advance in fuel costs. the only reason to geta chip with your mods is to remove the speed limiter which you wont see at the track, and to raise the rev limit which could be a good thing with your cams but I would get ahold of The Chip Guy for that.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
yes, a chip will help you.

AvengerZX3 works at a shop that can custom burn diablosport chips. They're good guys, Give him a PM or email. Tell him I sent ya.

do you have any dyno slips with your current setup? I'd imagine properly tuned (cam gears and a good custom program), you could get to 150.

A chip would help quite a bit, help you take advantage of the crane cams you have up high if nothing else.

·
6,880 Posts
Originally posted by EshockS2:
skip the chip, dyno tune the thing with a wideband O2 to make sure your not running lean and then spend the rest of your money on test and tune nights.

With the off the shelf chips all you'll get is a little advance in timing and a big advance in fuel costs. the only reason to geta chip with your mods is to remove the speed limiter which you wont see at the track, and to raise the rev limit which could be a good thing with your cams but I would get ahold of The Chip Guy for that.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yes and no. With a custom programmed chip, he can take advantage of all sorts of stuff. He said he wanted one custom programmed. Off the shelf chips wouldn't do him much good, but he could have the EGR disabled, have the rev limiter moved up even higher than 7100, and all sorts of other stuff. A chip could benefit him greatly if his car is tuned well. So, yes, he does need to make sure he gets to a dyno and some test and tune runs as well, but to say that he has little to nothing to gain from a chip is kinda B.S.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks ALLLLOOOTT axon you gave good info

i havent hit the dyno yet

i will be headed to focus sport to hit there dyno soon so wish me luck i will get the custom burned chip form the guy you recomend!

·
6,880 Posts
Originally posted by artin:
thanks ALLLLOOOTT axon you gave good info

i havent hit the dyno yet

i will be headed to focus sport to hit there dyno soon
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you have a track with cheap grudge nights, try playing with your cam timing to get better times, that way your cams are half-assed tuned before the dyno day.

Just make sure you actually get 5 or 6 runs at least to play with your cam gears. In a perfect world you would be able play with your cams for as long as it takes to get the most power. THEN go for the chip. Cajun also does reprogramming too. I don't think focussport directly programs the chips but they can have it done. It's just a matter of who you REALLY wanna go with.

Before you have the program made up, have some dyno slips ready from all your various tuning runs, and take good notes on the dyno slips, noting what you did to get the numbers you got.

Also get as much information you can about your cam specifications. The more you know about your setup, the better the custom program is. A rough checklist of info you will want to get about your car for a good custom program:

Make/Model/Year of car
Model/Displacement of engine
Computer Code
Transmission Type
VIN

Aftermarket Cam Make/Model (in your case, Crower Stg 2)
Cam specs: Duration for intake/exh (usually the number of degrees that the valve is open 0.050 inches), lobe separation, and max lift. Specify that you are using cam gears and tell them how many degrees away from TDC your intake and exhaust cams are.

Specs on any Head work: Valve size if different than stock, if you decked the head, did a port or polish on the head, intake/exhaust manifold modifications, aftermarket header make/model, and throttle body size if different than stock

Specs on your fuel pump, MAFS and Injectors, or any calibration differences you want to make to the fuel maps (if you plan on running larger injectors or a different fuel pump)

Presence of fuel pressure regulator (and pressure) - doesn't really apply to the returnless fuel system of a stock focus, but if you installed a return fuel system this would apply - also include any info on a standalone fuel Controller.

Specify your desired speed and rpm limiters that you want, and specify your new tire ratio if different from stock, or if you have changed any gear ratios. they can recalibrate your speedometer to show the correct speed when you are using low-profile tires on stock wheels, or using large wheels that make the circumference larger than stock, or using a new final drive.

Specify things that you've done that trigger the check engine light, sometimes they can disable the light for certain things (like if you eliminated the cat and EGR) - also tell them if you want the PCM controlled EGR valve completely disabled via the program or not. They can do this on most PCM's, I believe.

Automatic Transmission mods installed (if applicable): shift kit, high stall convertor?

Presence of forced induction or nitrous: bare all details. Make, model, presence of intercooler or aftercooler, what shot of nitrous are you using and if it's a wet or dry system

That should just about cover it. it's a lot of details but you can save a lot of hassle if you know what you want to be custom on your program. It's YOUR program, so it won't be like anyone else's. Take the time to order it the way you want it!

[ 11-16-2002, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: ax0n ]

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
150whp? no way...not with a cat and a stock tb... 140whp..yes no problemo...
ohh btw...with those mods you should have some major major kick ass TQ #'s!! cant wait to see them...prolly aroun 145 lbs/ft!! Those cams are very torqy and having the shorty and random just add even more tq...the TB and Mafs its what will be holding back all your power...

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
The standard diablo chip (what I have) does 4 things.

1 raises rev limiter. With crane stage 2's not really needed but might keep you hitting the fuel cut out in a moment of inattention

2 Raises the speed limiter. Won't help in the 1320 but is nice on a road track.

3 Advances the ignition timing. This what gives the boost in power (butt dyno says mostly low end torque) and requires 91 octane.

4 removes the tip in. This gives much improved throttle response. With my bored out TB I barely have to touch the gas to get moving.

With your current mods you shouldn't need a custom burn. Headwork or a different MAFS or anything else that drasticly changes the flow through the engine could benifit greatly from a custom burn.

In my experiance the chip didn't add huge power but it really changed how and where i make power. The engine just feels much better.
More like a sports car and less like a souped up econo car.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
150whp? no way...not with a cat and a stock tb... 140whp..yes no problemo...
ohh btw...with those mods you should have some major major kick ass TQ #'s!! cant wait to see them...prolly aroun 145 lbs/ft!! Those cams are very torqy and having the shorty and random just add even more tq...the TB and Mafs its what will be holding back all your power...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">so you recomend me getting a FC tb?

well your not running a aftermarket MAFS ( stock one) and you got to 150 easy ...... i have the JBA headers should i get the off road pipe from FC?
ALL IM LOOKING FOR IS RUNNING A 14 sec VINCE WHAT DO YOU THINK?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know about everybody else, but with my mods:
-JBA Headers
-Custom Cat-Back
-Custom Intake
-FC 3 piece pully kit
-Diablosport custom burned chip
-NGK spark plugs
-Steeda Spark Plug Wires

The chip worked GOOOOOD
and I mean it... Sweet difference in low/mid tq and the timing is fine... It kinda changes the "soul" of the car.... Feels like i drive a different car than what i had before
Much more FUN

But again.... With your mods... I am not sure if its gonna work the same way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts