Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Superchips chip for code JFA8, and I was using it on my JFA7. It was goin good for about 6 months and then my car wouldn't start so I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. I went to the dealership they didn't find anything but they reflashed my PCM with a different code, which one I'm not sure but I think it starts with a Y now. It has been running fine for about a week (with the chip in), now it didn't start again when I was filling you with gas but somehow it started after a couple of minutes. Then the "!" light went on and my car bogged then it went off and repeated like 5 times. Then I got on the highway accelerated a little the car jolted and the CEL when on so I pulled over. Drove to the dealership with the CEL on and they said that the car had overheated. But the ECU also only recorded a temp of 192 degrees which is normal. Could the chip be doin this, or is this unrelated? Also can I get the chip re done to work with my new ecu flash? Thanx.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
if they flashed your ECU to a new code... you're gonna need to get the chip reprogrammed

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
the new code shouold be on a sticker under the hood. it should be blue and it should say something like autorized modification by the dealer. i bet the problem is unrelated

·
Registered
799 Posts
I am surprised the car started with differing codes on the chip and the ecu. If your ecu has been re-flashed, Superchips will not warranty the chip nor your ecu, you should have the chip re-programmed instead of installing a chip into an ecu with a different code. Ask the dealer for the part number for the program they put in your ecu. It should read something like:
98AB-12A650-ZD. From this we can cross reference and give you the CORRECT ecu code.
Remove the chip, remove the positive battery cable for about 20 minutes. Restart the car and see if it still exibits problems. Do not re-install the chip, it may cause more problems than you care to deal with.
DT

·
Registered
311 Posts
I had the same problem, it ended up being a short in the main pcm connector and it blew out my main voltage reference signal going out to the engine. pull of the connector, and the pcm, and look to see if any of the pins are damaged or bent.
then if all else fails take out the chip and see if it still does it. if so take it back to ford explain the symptoms and they should be able to tell you if it's a wiring problem or if the pcm is blown.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can I send the chip back to superchips to have them reprogram it and how much does it cost. It is out right now and it will stay that way until I get it reprogrammed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts