Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question has any mastered a chip for Zetec/atx yet that unlocks the speed governor. Having car wish to stop running at 108 mph really bites. Also maybe bringing up rev limtior just a little bit would be nice too. Thanks again as usual. Will be upgrading to 65mm, 2.5 cat back,bosal flex and high flo cat maybe on cat not sure yet, power pulley, and cam gears. Esslinger intake street cam sitting on shelf in box too maybe for spring. I have ice man intake using stock box going to CAI soon and 170 thermostat installed already. I wish to hit that 155 to 170 hp range can i do it?

Spec 02/ZTS/ATX puter code #CJW1

Stay focused

·
Registered
729 Posts
It may take more tuning to get that much hp. Your atx eats a lot of power...about 20%-25%. Meaning a stock zetec with 130hp has only 90 - 95 hp at the wheels. I have just about the same setup, a little more, and im running a little over 170 hp. Keep working on it...

·
Banned
227 Posts
Why in the world would you need to go 108MPH, unless you're doing some oval racing or racing on a very long track. You really wouldnt need to go above 108MPH.

·
Registered
662 Posts
For CJW1, at least with the Diablosport you are SOL on the speed limiter. The Superchip file "download" has the "_rs" indication, which is used to indicated the rev and speed limiters are raised, but it's not always accurate.

Neither chip, even if they did crack the speed limiter, will remove the speed limiter completely and allow you to hit those sort of speeds. The speed limiter is typically raised by 30 mph over the stock setting.

Even if you could get to that kinda of speed, you better have some really good tires and maybe upgrade your suspension and brakes...

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
i know w/ my superchip i redline at 7100ish and top speed is like 137 give or take a few mph.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all on the info 137 mph and few hundred rpm for rev fine too.I will have to call supperchips to see if they got something for me

Stay focused

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
A stock atx tranny can only take 135 whp, after that it will fail soon. Not like *crack* you're done... but more like a very quick degredation in shiftin and performance.

With all my mods, i'm probably pushing 160-170 at the crank but only 130 at the wheel because of my dying atx.

But regarding chip, I would check with superchips. I believe they have had better luck in raising limiters.

[ 01-30-2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
shiva is 100% correct...

I was dynoing at about 111hp at the wheels BEFORE my supercharger install and I blew up one tranny that way, had the tranny replaced, installed a supercharger and tranny #2 started going Kaput within a week
I'll have new Dyno numbers mid feb based on a supercharged ATX w/ a badly slipping 3rd gear clutch, so im not expecting too much

as for the chips... I used to have a Diablo chip in my car and of course I HAD to test to see if it was governed... so I got on an empty stretch of highway and i hit 133mph.... believe you me, you DO NOT need to go this fast in a focus... it's rather frightening

I like to stick at 10-15 above the speed limit now....

·
Registered
16 Posts
so which is better for the $ diablo or superchip
i want to know i need to order it soon also i get a little vibration at idle i heard that is because of my focus sport rear engine mount is that true or what could that be

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a vibration at idle that went away as soon as I switched to full synthetic oil.

As far as the chip goes, superchips can usually raise the top speed limiter from 105 to 120 for atx or 140 for mtx. They cannot raise it at all for some atx, though. Best thing is to go to Superchips, and call the phone number on the first page and ask them if it is available and what it does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts