Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Stoned Scorpion says, "GET OVER H.....OOhhh! Brown
11,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home from work last night in my 02 SVTF. I pulled out chirped second then chirped third and saw the traction control light flash. I have new tires, stock clutch and everything. I mean i dont beat on my car its just that i work for 12 hours and was happy to get out of that darn place. I just thought it was cool and wanted to share. Never knew it could chirp third. Lol.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i did it one time at the track and was never able to do it again, i can however squall 2nd pretty good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What did you do to be able to chirp it in third? I can squeal them pretty good going into second, but i have a UDP, CAI, diablo predator tune, urethane motor mounts and cheap ass front tires. I have taken it to the track and not been able to do that, and i pound on my car pretty regularly. Was the road wet, or was it pretty cold out when you chirped em? just curious

·
Registered
883 Posts
I chirp third every time at the track. I have trouble keeping the tires from spinning going into second.

·
11,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was wet or cold, it actually was a hot humid night. i just shifted really fast at like 6500 rpm. didnt even red line it. there are no mods to the car at all exept new tires. i was pretty amazed myself.

·
Registered
94 Posts
With chirpin em in 3rd at the track, were your tires maybe wet? I mean with as little torque as our cars have it just seems peculiar to be able to chirp em like that. My friend has a new Acura TL and even with cheap tires can barely chirp 3rd and thats a 270hp car with like 230ft pds of torque.

·
11,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wel today is the 29th of july and i chirped em again lol. i am gonna break somethin......

·
11,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With chirpin em in 3rd at the track, were your tires maybe wet? I mean with as little torque as our cars have it just seems peculiar to be able to chirp em like that. My friend has a new Acura TL and even with cheap tires can barely chirp 3rd and thats a 270hp car with like 230ft pds of torque.
at the track, it isnt hard to chirp em. I spun a little bit out of the hole when i ran. the tracks are super stick with slicks but with regular street tires it is very easy to spin em. oh yeah the TL... was it an automatic or auto stick thing?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My advice to everyyone chirping your tires, stop. You don't want to kill tranny, it is very expensive to replace. Also chirping tires does not equal fast, from what I hear it is very hard on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
94 Posts
my friends TL is six speed close ratio manual, the tires on it arent much wider then ours i think they have 225s or 235s

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know the stress you put the car under while red lining it and power shifting isnt good for any of the parts, but i guess how im thinking of it is, the energy lost threw the wheels spinning threw gears would be that much more stress on the drivetrain if the tires stuck, so wouldnt chirpin wheels in a way eleviate that excess stress that would ordinarily be put on the drivetrain? Can't say ive heard it was bad for the car to chirp tires, but then again there is much i havent heard. lol

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't think it works like that. I always just try to shift easy and have smooth transition from gear to gear. A little excess clutch wear is better to me then dead tranny. You don't have to shift hard and pop clutch to shift fast.

·
11,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know the stress you put the car under while red lining it and power shifting isnt good for any of the parts, but i guess how im thinking of it is, the energy lost threw the wheels spinning threw gears would be that much more stress on the drivetrain if the tires stuck, so wouldnt chirpin wheels in a way eleviate that excess stress that would ordinarily be put on the drivetrain? Can't say ive heard it was bad for the car to chirp tires, but then again there is much i havent heard. lol
Yeah true i guess i would rather have traction than smoke any day

·
Registered
231 Posts
Haha yep even up here in Flagstaff, AZ (7000 ft elevation) I can churp into third it's a great feeling!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts